rack case for svt4pro that won't overheat

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zzyzxroad, May 22, 2004.

1. zzyzxroad

May 22, 2004
    Las Vegas, nv
    i have been searching for a solution to the problem of overheating with my svt4pro in an SKB rack. i currently have a 4 space skb with only the amp in it with the open space above the amp.
    i have been playing 1 hour shows and it gets very warm and i have not had a problem (knock on wood) but i am getting ready to do some longer shows (3-4 hours and i don't want to have a meltdown.
    some reccomendations i have gotten were to drill holes in the side of my case, buy a clip on fan for the back, or purchase a bigger rack.
    are these the only solutions out there? does anyone make a rack case with removeable sides to allow airflow through the sides?
    ANy and all help will be a ppreciated. i just want to make an informed decision before i make a purchase or burn up my amp.

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    There are cases out there that come with fans in the sides. They aren't cheap but I know they exist.
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have mine in a 6 space SKB rack, and have not had a problem with it at all. It get warm, but not warm enough to cause alarm. Mine is mounted in the bottom of the rack with a wireless unit, a tuner, and a power conditioner mounted above it. I have used a clip-on 6" fan on the rear of it before, when doing outdoor shows on very hot days or if it has the sun beating down on it. Other than that, I have not worried about it, and it has performed flawlessly every weekend for over 2 years now.
  4. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    SKB always seems to make tight racks. Probably cheaper, and fit in your Geo Metro better. SKB= Shoulda Known Better.

I'll bet you can just put a little clip-in fan to blow air towards the intake and you will be fine.

How close is the air exit to the side? You probably need a couple inches.
  5. zzyzxroad

May 22, 2004
    Las Vegas, nv
    thanks for the info ryan. i love the amp and don't want to hurt it (had a b2r).
    i will probably go up to the 6 space since i wanted to get a rack mounted wireless and a power conditioner myself.
    i also received a reply on ampegs forum that the new skb shock mount racks work great as there is more space between the gear and the walls of the case.
    thanks again.