Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rack case for svt4pro that won't overheat

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zzyzxroad, May 22, 2004.

1. zzyzxroad

zzyzxroad

May 22, 2004
    Las Vegas, nv
    i have been searching for a solution to the problem of overheating with my svt4pro in an SKB rack. i currently have a 4 space skb with only the amp in it with the open space above the amp.
    i have been playing 1 hour shows and it gets very warm and i have not had a problem (knock on wood) but i am getting ready to do some longer shows (3-4 hours and i don't want to have a meltdown.
    some reccomendations i have gotten were to drill holes in the side of my case, buy a clip on fan for the back, or purchase a bigger rack.
    are these the only solutions out there? does anyone make a rack case with removeable sides to allow airflow through the sides?
    ANy and all help will be a ppreciated. i just want to make an informed decision before i make a purchase or burn up my amp.

Brian

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    There are cases out there that come with fans in the sides. They aren't cheap but I know they exist.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have mine in a 6 space SKB rack, and have not had a problem with it at all. It get warm, but not warm enough to cause alarm. Mine is mounted in the bottom of the rack with a wireless unit, a tuner, and a power conditioner mounted above it. I have used a clip-on 6" fan on the rear of it before, when doing outdoor shows on very hot days or if it has the sun beating down on it. Other than that, I have not worried about it, and it has performed flawlessly every weekend for over 2 years now.

4. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    SKB always seems to make tight racks. Probably cheaper, and fit in your Geo Metro better. SKB= Shoulda Known Better.

I'll bet you can just put a little clip-in fan to blow air towards the intake and you will be fine.

How close is the air exit to the side? You probably need a couple inches.

5. zzyzxroad

zzyzxroad

May 22, 2004
    Las Vegas, nv
    thanks for the info ryan. i love the amp and don't want to hurt it (had a b2r).
    i will probably go up to the 6 space since i wanted to get a rack mounted wireless and a power conditioner myself.
    i also received a reply on ampegs forum that the new skb shock mount racks work great as there is more space between the gear and the walls of the case.
    thanks again.

Brian