1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rack Case Question??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 0--+LoveBass, Apr 29, 2009.

1. 0--+LoveBass

0--+LoveBass

May 11, 2007
    Ithaca Ny
    I bought an SVT 3 Pro (2 rack spaces) a while ago and always planned to buy a rack case but, I havent yet. The thing is I am playing out more and recently got a BBE ' 383 bass pre amp (one rack space) that I will not leave the house without (compressors should be a part of every bassists day to day). I also eventually plan to get a power conditioner(one rack space). I have pretty much decided on which rack case to buy,SKB SKB-RLX Roll-X Rack Case with Wheels. I need the wheels because my back is messed up. There is a 10 dollar difference between the 4 space and the 6 space. Should I:

a) I should buy the 4 space, duh, thats what you need. Don't waste money on extra crap!

b) Should I invest the extra 10$ into the assumption that eventually I will get more or bigger stuff and will I have a sudden urge to buy more rack mountable stuff now that I have the opportunity?

Thank you!

2. robgo

robgo

Jan 25, 2008
    UK
    Get the 6, it's not exactly a lot extra, but don't bother with the power conditioner, they don't actually do anything useful:bag:

You may well want to add other effects, tuner, wireless etc, and blank spaces with a vent grill or fans are always a good idea for preventing everything getting too hot.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I take the opposite approach. A 6-space rack full of gear is a bulky, heavy brute. It may have wheels, but you'll have to lift it in and out of your vehicle, go up and down stairs, maybe set it on top of your cabs, etc. and your back will hate you.

4. +1
    You shouldn't be thinking about more gear in one rack if you're already having back problems. Remember that you'll need to move not only the rack but the cabs as well, so why putting more pressure on your back.

5. 0--+LoveBass

0--+LoveBass

May 11, 2007
    Ithaca Ny
    I am going to break this up real quick. I'm not seeing as heaviness as a problem for I have already adopted the 2 people carry everything lifestyle

6. robgo

robgo

Jan 25, 2008
    UK
    I'd still go for the 6, just for the extra flexibilty, you don't have to put anything extra in it - don't underestimate the value of that extra ventilation space.

I've got a 4, with a 2 space GK, compressor and 1U vent space. I sometimes think it would be nice to have the option to put tuner, or something else in, but it's not a big deal either way.

7. If weight is not a problem then go for it.