Rack Case Questions (SM-900)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jnprather, Apr 1, 2001.

1. Hi All!

I just bought an SWR SM-900 which is on it's way... I have begun looking into rack cases, i'm no real hurry, but I should get one eventually. At least in the near future, I'm not going to be doing any heavy-duty touring, so I don't need a particularly rugged case. I'm thinking about a 4 or 6 space rack (I'm looking seriously at the Furman Power Conditioner/Tuner unit)... The Rack Case i'm considering the most right now is one of the SKB 6 space units (non-roto)... However, my main concern stems from something in the SWR manual about mounting the SM-900 in a rack case:

"The SM-900 should be mounted as close to the bottom of the rack case as possible. The height of the rubber feet have been chosen so that when you slide the unit in the bottom of the rack case, the rack mounting holes on the front panel should line up with the mounting holes of the rack rail. "

"Make sure there is adequate space between the sides of the SM-900 and the sides of the rack case so that the hot air coming from the vents can escape."

The guy i'm buying the SM-900 from says he had an SKB 4 space rack that blocked the vents on the SM-900.

I was wondering if any users could post their experiences with Rack Cases in conjunction with the SM-900...

Thanks in advance,

2. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    The SKB shock rack case wouldn't block the vents... but it does cost a little more than the normal rack cases.
  3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    SKB seems to be the most popular rack maker, but you should also look into Anvil and Grundorf cases. They cost more than the SKB racks do but they are a lot more rugged. Sorry but I don't know if the SM-900 will fit better or not.
  4. The only two racks that I've seen with alot of side room are SKB Shockmounts (which are WAY deep by the way 22" rackable depth) and Mesa Boogie Shockmounts. Most touring bands I have seen use Grundorf, Anvil, or Jan-Al racks none of which have much room on the sides for ventilation.

If you're really concerned about it you could buy one of the shock mount cases or bastardize a normal SKB by cutting some vent holes in the side and covering them with Steel mesh or something.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. I run a Carvin R1000 in bridged mono (which causes it to heat up faster obviously) in an SKB rack and have never had a problem (it has the vents on the side like an SWR). I think as long as you have general air flow around it you should be fine. I'd say buy the 6 space SKB and you'll be ok.
  5. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Another solution could be to mount a cooling fan in the case to evacuate the heat. With a six-space rack, you should have the room to do it. You can order them from most catalogs.
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have an SKB 6-space case for my EBS Fafner. I mount it on the bottom, and I left the next space up empty, except for a vented rack-spacer. The spacer probably cost me $15 or $20, but it allows very good ventilation for my amp.
  7. I don't think any rack will necesarily block the vents on the sm900. They may however limit the space between the side vents and the walls of the rack case, causing less heat to be able to escape. A majority of the heat escapes from the top of the amp. Just put the amp on the bottom of the rack and leave an empty rack space above it and you'll be just fine. Right now I have my SWR sm400s (similar size and similar ventilation system as sm900) on the bottom of a Road Ready case with an open space above it and it works great.
  8. Hey John,
    I have the exact setup you're talking about.. an SKB 6-space case with the SM-900 and a Furman Power conditioner. I've got the SM-900 mounted at the very bottom, and the power conditioner at the very top, with a couple of rack spaces in between. There isn't much room between the sides of the amp and the end of the rack case. But I've got two empty rack spaces above my amp, which leaves some escape room for heat. A friend of mine has an SM-900 in an SKB rack also, and he drilled a couple of holes in the sides of the rack to help heat escape from the amp. I haven't done this, and don't feel the need to, but it's an option.
    Something you should always remember is that SWR amps can get very warm during normal operation. This is because the face plate and chassis are made of aluminum, which SWR believes dissipates heat better. But, it also conducts heat better. I was very concerned about this when I first got my amp, but I e-mailed SWR and talked to a couple of friends who have SM-900s, and everyone said not to worry. The amp has a good cooling fan, and I haven't experienced any problems.
  9. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Well if that's the case, John can disregard my comment about installing a cooling fan in the case itself. If the amp has it's own fan, and the front and back of the case are open, that should be sufficient to evacuate the heat.
  10. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Another thought might be to check out Cadence racks. I know they will do custom applications and are not too far out of range price wise. You might be able to order some kinda vents on the side for you 900 this way and then you won't need to worry about extra spaces in your rack. (it would leave you room for future rack mount effects instead?) Hope this helps