Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rack case suggestions and advice?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by KB, Jun 13, 2002.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I am going to be looking for a nice quality, but lightweight 4 space rack case to mount my new SWR SM500 in. I am looking for a 4 space case so i can eventually get a furman power conditioner and due to the heat issues, I would like to leave 1 space above the SM500 for cooling. I have looked at the SKB roto cases (kind of cheap) and the regular SKB cases (about 2x the price of roto). Does anyone have any experience with eith of these or do you have any suggestions of another rack to use. Also where is the cheapest place to buy them? Any advice or help is appriciated.

-KB

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I chose a 6-space Roto to replace my old 7-space Anvil (heavy). I've been using the Roto for nearly a year now and am very happy with it: nice and light, and sturdy enough. Obviously it isn't as tough as the Anvil... I wouldn't dare stand on the Roto, and I'd be nervous if others moved it. But I move my gear myself and handle it with care and the Roto is just fine.

3. Hey man,

I'm actually getting into racks myself, and know what you're thinking.

I have a SWR Workingman's 160 (discontinued now) and I was worried about the heat too, but honestly, you don't need to shell out the extra $$ for a power conditioner unless you were going to get more things requiring power.

You said you wanted to leave a space between the Power Conditioner and your amp, fair enough, but wouldn't it be a little easier to just get a 2-space rack case and pu the SM500 in that.

I actually have one, and I assure you the ventilation would be quite sufficient. This would save you some money, by not getting a Power Conditioner, and it would be perfect.

Obviously, that's just my opinion, feel free to disregard it.

Just in case you decide to go for a 2-space, I'm actually going to be selling my SKB 2-space "Shallow X" rack case. (I'm gettting a bigger one)

Feel free to e-mail me at ddtk@hotmail.com if you're interested.

Good luck on your search.

4. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    i actually just bought the regular 4 space SKB rack. i was looking at the roto rack and the regular rack side-by-side and decided to spend the extra money. i've heard that the roto-rack is fine, but i really didn't want to risk hurting my amp, tuner, etc. just to save $50.

5. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I don't think the shallow X cases are deep enough. They are listed as only being 10 3/8" deep and the SM500 is almost 14" deep. I also plan to get the power conditioner to plug my pedalboard into and to have the lights.
    I think I may go with the standard (non-roto) 4 space SKB, that way I also have a slot for possibly something in the the future (maybe a BBE or something).

-KB

6. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    KB: I suggest you stay away from SKB cases. They are light, but they are also flimsy, cheap junk IMO. I have tried 2 or 3 SKB's in my years out there and they just don't hold up well. And those stupid, unthreaded rack rails... You gear deserves better protection than they give.
    Anywho...I suggest you get a plywood rack. I know they are heavier, but that's the price you pay for good protection. And please get one with recessed hardware! I am currently using a Hybrid case. It is made with 1/2" plywood and a laminate cover on the outside with recessed hardware. It wasn't cheap, but it was worth every penny.
    There is also a company called Rock Hard cases. They are very good. You can find either with you favorite search engine. Good luck!