Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rack Case Suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shreave, Jun 28, 2001.

1. shreave

shreave

Jul 12, 2000
    Seattle. WA USA
    Can someone give me the skinny on rack cases? I'm looking for probably a 4 space and want to know what's good (for the money) and what's crappy.

2. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    IMHO SKB has good stuff for the price.

Mike

3. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I depends on what you needs are. Generally speaking you should be fine with an SKB or a Sonic. They both make excellent rack cases. There are plenty of others too, that I'm sure will be posted here. Look for a used one because they can be very expensive new and the quality is virtually the same.

4. Road Ready cases are rock solid, but are kinda heavy too. SKB is also good and lighter.

5. I had a 6-space rig with no back rails. This is a problem if you have a big amp that should be secured both front and rear. SKB is rated at 69 pounds maximum load, as per SKB customer support. I sold it because it was not rated for the 131 pounds of electronics I carry in my rack.

There are numerous Anvil clones out there, but none come close to the strength (cost and weight also) of a real Anvil. I wanted a real Anvil in 10 space, but could not find one used, and will not pay the steep price of a new one.

I made a rack out of 3/4" ACX plywood for about $60 including front/rear rail pairs, recessed handles, and carpet/corners. The plywood version was easy to fabricate, but it is heavy (1/2 sheet of 4x8 ply). In retrospect, I'll do the next rack out of welded square tubing for the frame, and use very light weight plastic material for the covers. The strength has to be in the frame that supports the rails and not in the covers.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Some people say SKB cases are not durable enough, but IMO they are plenty durable unless you are going on a world tour. Anvil cases are about as heavy duty as you can get, but they weigh a ton and cost a lot.

7. shreave

shreave

Jul 12, 2000
    Seattle. WA USA
    That helps a lot. I won't be going on any world tours nor tossing it out of my car while driving down the interstate (can't say the same for my bandmates) so I'll go with a used SKB.

The next problem I see on the horizon is keeping myself from buying some cool looking yet useless 95% of the time gadget to go into the case. Then having to buy a BIGGER case 'cause I ran out of room.

I will defintely though need the
    DD-301 Digilog Dynamicator
    http://www.funklogic.com/dd301.htm

8. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Uh-Oh pre G.A.S. symptoms. Be very careful!!!

Mike

9. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Anvil is a name brand, I think what you mean is A.T.A. style... Check out this case manufacturer at (www.cdmmanufacturing.com) or (716)649-5925.. Prices are very reasonable and they build great stuff from racks, guitar cases and any other case you might need... Best of Luck... Steve....