Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rack case to fit a deep power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Jan 3, 2005.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Recently picked up a Crest CA9 amp... it's a whopping 18 inches deep. Guy at the music store sent me home with a rack case that he was *sure* would be deep enough, but no go. I'm not really seeing depth listed in the specs of cases (SKB, etc.) shown on musiciansfriend.com and the like.

I want a medium-duty, 4-6 space rack case that'll be deep enough, and will hopefully be an "off-the-shelf" item rather than a "oh, you'll have to get one that deep custom built" kinda thing.

Any suggestions for an online source for such cases?

Thanks.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    mark, i just bought a pearson case for my QSC (to isolate it from my other rack gear cause it's so heavy)....i think the pearson's are 19" deep

PM/IM me...

3. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    i just got a SKB for my QSC power amp. it fits fine with space left over.

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm pretty sure a regular SKB case won't work. I'll bet you a dollar it won't.

5. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    My old DB728 fit in an SKB. It stuck out the back, but the lid closed as long as all of the cables were disconnected.

6. The road ready amp racks might work.I have the effects rack and its either 14 or 16 inches.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    my stewart 2.1 fit in an skb. like the aguilar, a bit stuck out, bit fit in the lid.

8. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    my bad.

9. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    You can find specs for all of SKB's cases on their web site.

10. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I've been there since my last post here. It appears that *some* of the SKB cases are deep enough. Unfortunately, I cannot easily match up product descriptions there and on musiciansfriend's website.

I suppose I can call MF instead of trying to match up online product descriptions.

thanks. :)

11. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    If you're interested, I have a deep carpeted rack case that I've been thinking of selling. It's 18" deep (not including the 2" lids.) However, it is an 8-space, so it might not be what you're looking for. It does have removable casters, though, which makes it easy to move around.

(PM me if you might want it... If not, you can ignore this post. ;))

12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the SKB roll-x cases are deep enough. I have a similar issue with my Peavey DPC-1400x power amp, and the Protec/Odyssey rack bags are too short.

13. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well, poo...

I called MF and they couldn't guide me to an SKB rack case 18" deep or more...

...I seem to always find a way to make mountains out of mole-hills. What's up with me? :scowl: ;)

14. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
  15. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    When I was searching for a case to fit my Aguilar DB359 (it's pretty deep at 17-1/8"), I ended up with a 2-space MBT.
    They aren't quite as sturdy as an SKB, but they're close and good enough for me.

Here is a place that has the 4U ($85) and 6U ($100).
    Silverlight - MBT cases

There are other places that carry them, search yahoo for 'MBT rack cases'.

The specs say internal depth 16", but I think that is just the distance between front and rear rails. The front and rear covers were on with some room to spare on my DB359. I'll try to get a measurement from the front rail to as far back as an amp could go into the back cover (should be right at 18"). You can send me a PM as a reminder.

16. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    You aren't really "making mountains out of molehills" at all. I had the same problem with my CA-9 because to properly rack the amp, you need 18 inches from front to rear rack rail. Roadready cases has a standard amp rack which is 16.5 inches rail to rail, they do however do special orders but I'm not sure how that would work out. I didn't find a single skb case that would fit the amp "properly" but that doesn't mean there isn't one, I just didn't find it. I would think that a fairly simple solution for you would be Hybrid cases. They sell direct through "Discount Distributors" and it seemed to me that most of the cases they sell are made to order so it is very easy to specify dimensions etc. The only thing to remember when dealing with them is that you have to specify everything exactly (if you want rear rack rails, rubber feet etc. you have to tell them) Also when dealing with Discount Distributors you should haggle over price. They will come down to make the sale.

17. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks, everyone for the tips and offers for further help...

Just got off the phone with John at Bass Emporium, who hooked me up with an SKB that he measured up for me. I have full confidence that it'll work since John also deals in Crest amps.

:)

18. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I was gonna throw out another vote for the aluminum CNB cases. Sturdy (and a little heavy), and INFINITELY better latches than the SKB cases that always seem to be coming undone on their own, IME.

19. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Sounds like I'm too late to help, but for the record, Carvin's road cases are spec'd as 20.5" deep for the SKB style and 21" deep (without covers) for the Road Warriors.

20. MikeT

MikeT

Jul 10, 2005
    Peoria, Arizona
    SD, what case did you end up getting and how do you like it?