1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rack case to suit Mesa400+?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tim1, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I have just purchased a new 400+ and am loving it. My problem is in finding a suitable rack case. I have tried the SKB and Gator cases but their sides go inwards to allow for the handles and obstruct ease of ventilation for the 400+'s side mounted fan. I do not want a shock case as I am trying to keep the overall weight as light as possible (I sold my SVT2 for this reason). I also want to keep it physically as small as possible.
    I am now contemplating getting the 4 unit SKB case and drilling some rather large ventilation holes in the top and on the side next to the fan.Alternatively I could cut out a piece and fit a perforated steel sheet, I suppose. Can anyone think of any problems with this approach? How have other 400 owners solved this problem?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I have a 400+ in a Gator case with drilled ventilation holes. It works fine.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    For a while, I used an SKB and racked it with thumb-bolts so I could take it out when playing. After that, I bought a 'traditional 5 space rack from TB'er Charlie Escher... it's a bit heavy, but gives lots of ventilation. I also mount a clip on fan to the back of the rack whenever I play to add to the ventilation, especially on the side without the fan.