1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rack Case w/ airflow option for Mesa 400?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JN8642, Jan 5, 2017.

1. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    So I bought a Mesa 400 off the classifieds recently and I want to get a shock mount case for it. I got a quote from Anvil for a shock mount case for $342 and they quoted me the same with the airflow option shock mount. I'm obviously leaning towards the airflow option.

I'm generally just interested if it's worth it to have them put it in since the head already has a fan. My guess is yes! Wanted to hear others thoughts

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    More air is never a bad idea.

Are you going to be gigging it often and moving it yourself? Shock mount racks are great for a tour in a trailer but they're pretty large and unwieldy for the average joe.

LiquidMidnight likes this.
  3. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    Yeah we play and tour quite a bit actually, it's only a 4u I'd be ordering and I'm in decent shape, usually my bandmates will be around to help if they're able at the specific moment

4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Air flow is important. Some systems are better than others. Anvil makes quality cases, I suspect that their airflow option is quiet but it doesn't hurt to enquire about the noise level.

5. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    This is what anvil said back when I asked about the noise level.....

"Hello Jim, the Airflow option incudes notches in the foam, inner rack shell, and (2)Vents on the outer shell"

Doesn't sound like it'll have a fan, just more areas for airflow

beans-on-toast likes this.
  6. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    My experience with electronic equipment is that anything that provides additional vent area/air flow volume is a worthwhile benefit, especially if it it's passive. If they have a design option that gives you all the protection you need and provides added airflow, I see that as a no-brainer.

Some performance environments may put you in a position where the ambient temperature has your gear running at the upper end of its thermal tolerance and the added air flow will certainly benefit you. With no fan or active elements, it sounds like there is no down-side.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  7. Buy the case with ventilation.

Or just spend $40 and slap one of these onto any rack.

IMG_0713.

LiquidMidnight likes this.
  8. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Sounds like a good option, it promotes better air flow. You don't want to block any of the amp's vents.

It can help to buy a case that is slightly larger that would provide some extra space. You can buy a u1 19" vent, with or without fans.

Cool Components: Rack Cooling & Ventings Products for Audio Video Equipment Racks

Also Mesa should be able to recommend what sized rack is best for the 400. Some companies suggest for instance, an empty U1 space above and below when racking.

9. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    Will an airflow option lessen the protection of the case by what Anvil described?

10. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    As I recall, the 400 chassis has vents on the sides and top. It could be that with a U1 space on the top, the amp's fan might be sufficient to cool it in the case.

It isn't clear where the case vents and foam notches will be located and how large they will be. Some cases have a side door that is opened to vent the case. They may or may not help the 400.

I would ask Mesa for a recommendation as to the best enclosure size for this amp. In the manual, they say that the fan should be set to high if the amp is in an enclosure. Clearly, you don't want the case to cover any of the amp's vents.

It might help with responses from people that have done this if you change the thread title to tack on "for Mesa 400".

11. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    Good idea just did so!

beans-on-toast likes this.
  12. You want to vent the fan. The amp is 4U. The fan draws in air and shoves it behind the tubes for it to bleed out the back and top.

What you don't want is the fan drawing warm air back through.

13. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    Good call I just asked them about venting the top as well!

14. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    I suppose I could just get a lift off case for it but that probably wouldn't be as safe as a shock mount w/airflow

15. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    A regular ATA case has foam in it that acts as a shock mount when shipping.

16. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    Talked to Anvil some more, they can add airflow to the top as well which I'm happy about.

In your guys' opinions, would shockmount, shockmount w/airflow, or a lift off case be safer for the head while being on the road a lot?

17. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I used a Gator shallow 4-space with my KT-88 loaded 400 for years and never had the slightest issue.

These days I mount mine in the middle of 6 space with nothing else in it. It ventilates fine.

You can go fancier of course but the prescription will depend upon how severe your 'retention is.

18. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    Nice no overheating issues?

19. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    tbh, the best option for a tube head going on the road a lot would be one of the Thermodyne/SKB-style shockmount racks -- where the rack rails are part of a metal frame suspended at 8 corners by coil springs inside a larger molded outer case (thereby also provided ventilation on all sides of the amp) -- and then putting that entire rack inside an Anvil-style foam-lined lift off case.

20. Don't forget to pack your forklift. ;)

You wouldn't think springs and an alloy frame would come to much but those SKB's are some donks. I went to pick up an empty one. Having no idea of the weight I just about threw my back out.