1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rack Case w/ airflow option for Mesa 400?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JN8642, Jan 5, 2017.

1. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
  2. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015

Oh wow I never heard of that company before, their shockmount/cases in general look great and very affordable. Surprised I didn't find them when I was looking up case companies.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  3. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    The Mesa case I used with my 400+ has the rack mounted on rubber isolators. The amp had a couple inches of airspace on all sides. A fair bit larger than my standard SKB rack, but it is a great case

4. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I made my own, and cut ports for the fans...

IMG_3321_zpsc2gvzwu9.

Dont have a side shot though, but I just cut open where the fan was.

IMG_3323_zpsnr3veskp.

Sold the head though. It was a great setup. I'll own another mesa tube amp one day.

LiquidMidnight and JN8642 like this.
  5. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    Did you order it directly from Mesa?

6. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I got it second-hand, but yes. It is a Mesa product.

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The stock fan in the Bass 400 moves plenty of air. Ive had my 400 since 1991 in the factory wood/tolex head cabinet, and the majority of that time the fan has been on the low setting and the tubes are never too hot at all.
    My Strategy is twice as hotter than the 400!

8. Pyramid City

Pyramid City

Mar 4, 2012
    Just flip the switch to high if its super closed in. Mesa says in their manual I believe that even in a rack there is typically enough room for the fan to stay on low.

9. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    Does anyone know if audiopile is still making cases? I've emailed them like 3 times now and no response

10. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Did you send the email to audiopile.net?, .com is another company.

11. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    Yeah I emailed .net, I wonder if they're no longer around

12. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Could be that they are busy post NAMM. Might be better to call them.

13. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    True, my first email was three weeks ago I'd think they would respond sooner but I'll try calling Monday

14. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    People like their products. Well made and affordable. It would be a shame if they no longer offered them.

15. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Unfortunately that is true. One of my tube heads came with a really nice ATA head case. The head itself is fairly manageable for a 200 watt all-tube amp, but it instantly becomes comparable to the weight of an SVT when in the case. For local gigs, transporting it with the slip cover is fine, but if I were to go back on the road again, it would certainly live in the ATA case when being stored in the trailer.

16. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    The model # of those Mesa/Boogie shock mount rack cases is: SUS-4.
    I don't know if Mesa still sells them but they used to come in sizes ranging from 4 to 20 rack spaces. They're super heavy, my 4-space SUS-4 weighs in the 35 to 40 lb range-without amp...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  17. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    I just got off the phone with them a few hours ago, they're still in business. They don't offer a shock mount with air flow but it seems a few people don't think it's necessary. I could always drill holes if need be I figure too.

With yours do you happen to remember if the foam lines the inside of the case and not just the sides? I can't fully tell with this link: A4UE | 4 Space, Heavy Duty, 2 Lid, Anti-Shock, Rack Case with 18" Rack Depth

18. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    My rack cases were years ago, I just don't recall. I have ATA cases now, equipment lifts in and out. These cases have foam padding all around: bottom, top and sides.

What I see in the image is the front and back lids have egg crate foam, the case has a case with the case (what they call the rack shell), it is surrounded with 1" closed cell dense foam around the top, bottom, and sides. Best to confirm this with them.

My only concern is the size. I tend to allow for a U1 vent on top for any piece of gear that generates heat. If people that have your amp say that U4 is sufficient, you should be fine. I don't recall, have you called Mesa customer service and asked what they recommend in terms of the rack case size for the 400?

19. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    I'm a little concerned as well, wish they did a 5u haha. I'll call them again about if the foam lines the entire shell. They offer a 6u but we already have the back of the van packed when we tour I'm nervous the extra 2u would be too much, plus I'm not sure if the other 2u of space would lessen the shock resistence.

@Salicete suggested a Pyle PFN41, thinking about it that may actually help quite a bit with a 4u case. I'll check with Mesa, kept forgetting to do so.

Would've jumped on the case from Anvil already but the price of the audiopile case(with shipping and a potential Pyle fan) is so much more attractive than the Anvil's price. Especially since I have to pay for the cost of a friend's amps' repair now haha