1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rack cases (last time i swear guys!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, May 3, 2006.

1. Right, im set on getting a raod ready case for my SVT-II

Thing is, im not sure if i should get the shockmount or the normal one

The weight of the shockmount wouldnt be an issue, but im just wondering if its worth the extra cash to get it or not

2. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    If you are talking all tube head and you move it around a lot it would be much safer and not disturb the tubes in their sockets as much with the shock mount rack as with the regular rack

3. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Oh my God!!
    And SVT head in a shock mount case?!?!??!!
    That would weigh a friggin' ton!!

How are you transporting it? Road crew (I would hope!) throwing it in and out of a truck or are you?
    Are you flying it?? Can't imagine what it would cost to fly that thing, but again the added protection if you do.

IMO, if your moving it yourself and your going just for protection in the trailer/truck, then just a normal case. But if any of the above apply, then look into the shock mount.

A shock mount for my amp would be a shoebox and a few marshmellows!!

Wow, a shockmount rack for an SVT. Would not want to be the guy moving THAT!!!

4. Its only going to be 152.7lbs IIRC, so it isnt really that much, in the forseable future its only going to be chucked (not literally, dont want to wreck the suspension) in and out of a car

5. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Wreck......yeah, the suspension of the car!!

j/k!
    ;)

6. I would say a normal case will be fine for it, not in a rude way, but you say it never really goes that far except around perthshire/tayside, and only in and out of a car. As long as youre careful with it, it will be fine!

7. Aye thats exactly what i was meaning :p

Good point, im just basically wanting to get something i dont ever have to replace thats the only reason im asking

8. yeah true... i'd say if you could afford it, then a GOOD shockmount case would be a good investment. But bare in mind that a GOOD regular case will no doubt do the job very well, your amp wont get damaged, and it will be cheaper. It'll possibly hold up slightly longer too!

9. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    I have my 4PRO in a regular roadready rack case and it protects it just fine. I dropped it once and everything was fine. I'd say get a regular one and it will do the job just fine, but as everybody as said be careful. What else are you going to have in your rack? If it's just your head, then you might be lifting 100 lbs. max; but if it's your head, tuner, compressor...etc then obviously it'll be heavier and I don't think you want to carry a 150+lbs. rack by yourself.

10. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    As I remember, you like to stack your amp on your cab.
    Some poeple think tube amps work better when not placed on vibrating cabs.
    If you want to stack, the shock rack will help some here.

If your amp ever does take a bad fall, you will more than make up the difference in price, with hopfully not having to buy a new set of power tubes.

One drawback to shock cases is that these extra wide racks sometimes look silly, when stacked on a narrow cab.

One advantage to your SVT-II in a shock rack would be that anybody that might try to steal it, would probably deside to leave it behind...:meh:

The fact that your still undecided, tells me that you dont care about the weight.

Anybody that uses the terms,( "rack- only and weighs 152.7lbs") all in the same sentence, should defenetly go for the shock case. And beside that you will hold the T/B record for the heaviest 4-space rig on the planet.......

And you know, if the weight thing does become a problem, you could always cut about 40lbs with a upgrade to a nice 400+......:rolleyes:...:smug:

11. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    Heh, heh, I was thinking the same. Mine tips the scales at a full 107 lbs. Six more than the wife weighs. She helps me move it, so I think she loves me.

12. Cheers for the responses guys, the width of the case will be narrower than that of the cab either way, the only problem i might have is that the cases are pretty deep, but they are both the same depth so that doesnt have any bearing on it.

*sigh* , i just cant make up my mind, ill probably go with the shockmount, then find its overkill, but having overkill is always better than not being enough

13. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Let me warn you! The SVT II (if it has the same air ventilation design as the 2 PRO) has an air intake on the left side (when facing it), has a small vent on the right side and expels most of the heat through the back. If you put it in a standard rackmount case, you will kill the airflow and the amp will overheat. It's a tube amp and Ampeg designed the air ventilation stupidly. Ampeg used to have rack cases with vents built-in to the sides which allowed plenty of air flow. Most rack mounts don't allow enough air flow on the sides.
    You should look at http://www.skbcases.com/industrial/product/shocks/art/1SKB-R904U20.jpg

Which is located:
    http://www.skbcases.com/industrial/product/shocks/shock2-r20.html

Click on product photos and take a look at it

Very strong rack and it has enough sway space to keep those tubes from overheating. It's expensive
    http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/SKB_Roto_Shock_Rack_20/1SKBR904U20/F55933/

probably can find it for around $400 and you may have to special order it.

14. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I have a REALLY nice 6U Jan-Al professional ATA rack for sale in the accessories for sale forum. You could easliy mod the sides for proper airflow (the sides are wood, easy to drill, etc). Though it's not a shock rack, it's very protective and not overly heavy compared to a shock rack. Sorry for the shameless plug, but it seemed like a "good fit" for your issue...

15. Ive got an 8U shockmount case already, and i really dont like it, i know they are safe but i just dont feel it

And dont worry, the reason im not worried about that is ive already planned it out, im getting a 3U vented panal at the back (partially because my amp doesnt have it rear grill), and im mounting a small power supply and two PC fans one blowing in and one sucking out

And quadzilla thanks for the offer, but the roadready racks use recessed hardware and have side handles, i wouldnt like the weight of my SVT on just that one handle on the lid

16. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Good idea on the fan! I have seen and heard people get into issues with rackmounting an SVT 2 before and I just wanted to make sure you did not have any problems. Have fun blasting the SVT! I know I do!

17. Cheers, i do, i love this amp! Its just needing a new case as the old one its in started to buckle! I got the SKB as a replacement, but, i just dont feel too safe with it.