rack cases

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phat Ham, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Well I've decided I want to move up to a rack system. For now all I have is my Carvin R600 head and Korg DTR-1 tuner. In the near future I plan on getting a Furman power conditioner and an FMR audio RNC and rackmounting it with the Funk Logic kit. That's 5 spaces right there. I also plan on eventually getting a wireless (1 space) and separate pre/power amps. The way I see it an 8 space rack would be suitable, because the power amp would most likely be 2 spaces and the pre might be one or two. So what do you guys think? Should I get two separate racks or amps and effects?

I had been planning on getting an SKB ATA style case, but I've heard the latches come off a lot. I was looking at Musician's Friend and they have Odyssey cases for only $10 more than the SKB's, and they look a little sturdier. Does anyone have any experience with Odyssey cases? Any other brands I should check out for cases?
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    If it were me, I'd split 'em. Put the preamp, power amp and conditioner in one four-u rack, and get a 1/2 depth SKB XRack for the rest of the stuff. Your back will appreciate it!
  3. lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    I, too, would do the two rack thing. There are times when I don't need everything in the rack and wish I had a lighter, scaled-down version of just the essentials. I happen to have a Calzone 4 space rack for sale. If you want some info, feel free to e-mail me. Thanks