Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rack components?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ely, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    I'm a long time lurker on this board and I have a ton of questions to ask, but I'll start with the easiest one ;)
    What components do I need for a rack? The only things I'm sure about are the Rack itself, the Poweramp, and the Preamp. What other gadgets should I use? Power Conditioners, Compressors, Tuners, Ventilation, etc. It all confuses my small brain very, very, very much. Thanks.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    a good power conditioner is a decent purchase. also a good rack tuner. anything else just depends on whether you want it or not.

3. Maybe a BBE Sonic Maximizer, if you really want one.

4. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Dont get caught in the " I need to fill this rack so it will look really cool" mind set. Get only what you need. If you want to get a bunch of blinking lights, install some Christmas lights on a piece of flat aluminum and screwe it into your rack. KISS is key.

Mike

PS All the signs of pre GAS. Get help quick before it is too late!!!

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Dr. Mike is right.
    A Korg rack tuner is too expensive IMO and the lights remind me too much of Knight Rider or Battlestar Galactica. :D
    A good compressor and a power conditioner are good choices though. And I never gig without my BBE. :)

6. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    Hey, thanks for the info y'all.
    Mike is absolutely correct, I've had extreme GAS forever since I had the dissapointment of getting an Ibanez Gio (the neck is so thin my gigantic hands hurt after 5 minutes of playing, while a 6 or 7-string fits my hands perfectly) for my first bass, and having to play thru my dad's G**tar amp.
    Can anyone tell me what a BBE Sonic Maximizer actually does? Same with Compressors/Limiters/etc. I'm totally in the dark :confused:

7. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    For all those things, you can do a search and find more than you would ever want to know.

Good luck!!

Mike:D :D

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, you really DO need the Korg tuner. Not only does it make tuning quick and easy, it drives people in the audience nuts trying to figure out what the hell it is (you must leave it on during the set for this function). That little red light sweeping back and forth across the face just looks SO cool.

9. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    If you don't know, you don't need it.

Don't waste your money just buying cool looking gear.

10. Now E String that doesnt make a lot of sense.....
    Is that just a way of squealing out of explaining. I really do want to know what all that stuff is. I hear powerconditioners and thinks like that mentioned all the time but I neverknew what they were. So somebody explain the following, Conditioner, Limiter, Sonic Maximizer, and a compressor. That would help me out a lot.

11. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    A power conditioner is basically just a fancy version of the surge protecter power strips you might have in your office. Often they have pull out lights too, so you can see the controls of the items in your rack. IMHO, they aren't worth it unless you have several items in your rack or a few very high powered amps.

A compressor slims down the dynamic range of a signal, making the difference between the loudest note and the softest note smaller by boosting the soft notes and making the loud notes softer, creating a more consistent sound. Unless you crank the ratio up, the effect is pretty subtle. A compressor is really only worth it if consistent volume is really important to you, and even if it is, you should spend more time tweaking your technique first before you look into one.

A limiter is a variation on the compressor idea; it allows you set a point past which you signal can not get any louder.

All these items can be incredibly helpful if you are working musician, but they aren't too cost efficient for the novice or occaisional enthuisiast.
    Even so, there are plenty of professional bassists who get along just fine with just their cabs and their amp, and maybe a few effects pedals.

Work on your bass playing until you become as proficient as you can, and then start to look at the extra gadgets.

12. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A BBE is a so-called psychoacoustic processor.
    Similar to an exciter it generates or enhances overtones (and transients???) and it messes with the phase of the tone waves.

check their website.

http://www.bbesound.com/home.htm

13. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  14. Estring, this past weekend I went to a wedding and while their I was talking to one of my cousins who is an electrician. He was telling me that most buildings wiring is very poor and not up to standards at all, so he thinks that buying a power conditioner is extremely important. He also said that it is more than just a "fancy surge protector" he said it actually "cleans the electrical signal" so that you dont have any interference from someone else if you are say running off a strip.