1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rack Compressor Comparable to Multi-Comp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SpankyPants, Oct 17, 2006.

1. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm looking for a rack compressor that is transparent, but will normalize my volume. Something that adds about the same amount of punch as the Multi-Comp. Not looking for a squish or a jangle or anything... Affordable is always a plus! ;-D

What'd you guys think?

2. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Inactive

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    dBX 160X

3. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm getting great transparent-yet-punchy results with an Ashly CL100. It's discontinued, but Ashly gear that I've used has always been uniformly awesome, old or new, so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend anything from their old CL50 to the current CLX and DPX units. Ashly gear is noted for NOT coloring your signal.

The dbx mentioned is a classic, along with their 163X and 160A, and they are affordable.

4. lsdn

lsdn

Sep 6, 2003
    padova (italy)
    With the multi-band compression function: Tc Electronics Triple C and a Rane compressor with built-in crossover (I don't remember the model).

5. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    What about the 166XL by dbx?

Edit: Nevermind, I see the difference. ;-D

6. D-Bone

D-Bone

Jul 5, 2006
    I'm using an Alesis 3630 stereo Compressor in my rack. It works better than many onters in it's price range, but unless you go real Tube, the difference in quality from model to model is negligable between most other SS rack units. IMO. I prefer the Rack versions because they're bigger and easier to use to me.

When I went looking for compressors, I did try out the DBX and liked it too, but I prefered the Alesis' sound and bright LED out-put meters better. I could easily tell exactly how hard I was hitting it, from accross the stage.....

(Here it comes up again) EH makes a very good compressor pedal that's way better sounding than my Alesis, but is nearly twice the price.......

7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Rane DC24 has seperate high and low frequency compressors with an adjustable crossover point. I've never used one myself, but have heard good things about them.

The one in my rack is a dbx 160A, and it works marvelously.