1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rack compressors that are good with instrument level input?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Inconnu, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Is there any inexpensive rack compressors that can take instrument level that are in production right now?

2. Not in production - but I think the dbx163x is a good option and can be had cheap.

3. It might work if you put a DI/pre-amp between the bass and comp.
    Like: BASS-->BDDI-->RACK COMP

4. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    This one is not in production either, but it has an instrument input jack on the faceplate.

ART TCS compressor

-Frank

Attached Files:

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Most of the units coming to mind ATM are either expensive or not in production. However, check out some "channel strips". They are rack units that contain a preamp, some EQ, and often a compressor. You may well be able to find a new one in your price range.

6. sadowskyguy

sadowskyguy

Dec 24, 2011
    Greenville NC
    Agreed. But if cost is an issue, the joemeek floor q is pretty good. It's the same comp in their rackmount units. If cost wasn't an issue, find an old dbx 160 on eBay! I think the new dbx 160's are pretty affordable though...

7. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
  8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Bear in mind he specified units that run at instrument level, i.e. where you plug the bass straight into it with no preamp in between, and expect to get good tone and low noise. The FMR and TC units are meant for line level.

9. Scootbass1

Scootbass1 Gold Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Chillicothe, Illinois
    I used an Alesis CLX-440 for a few years until it recently went and did the dead bug on me. I got the new Alesis 3632 to replace it, and am very satisfied with the unit. It is capable of -10dB (instrument level) and +4dB (line level). They go for around $149.00 new from the major online retailers. So if you do not like it you can return it to them. I run my bass straight into it and send it's output into my combo when playing at church. Then on secular gigs I run it at line level in the channel FX loops of my Pearce B2p head with an Ampeg 610HLF cabinet. It has allowed my sound to be clear at higher volumes on these gigs, which is oxymoronic since one channel has OD grind in it. All in all a good bang for the buck unit for me.
    Cheers,
    Mike B.

10. I'll check that one out thanks!

11. Scootbass1

Scootbass1 Gold Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Chillicothe, Illinois
    I acquired a Peavey CEL2 rack compressor this past weekend. I have tried it at both instrument and line level with very satisfactory results. It is very transparent and well suited to live playing situations. I tend to let the Engineer and Producer decide how to process my bass when in a recording situation, since most processing is done in the digital domain these days in small local studio environs. So, it may be another option for you to look into, I got this one on the cheap.
    Peace.
    Mike B.

12. I was using a Presonus Studio Channel which I was really happy with - that took a hit from a drum stand and is now out of action. It is Preamp, compressor and para eq all in a channel strip. I really enjoyed this unit and the tone it gave me. All sections were very useful.

I got a ART TubePAC to replace the Studio Channel just to try it out. A very good unit also which is Preamp and Comp all in a 1/2 rack space. It takes instrument level but there are no inputs on the front panel. Not a big deal for me as mine is in a rack with a rack tuner which feeds it.