Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rack configuaration question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Dec 30, 2001.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm thinking of using a lightweight SKB RotoRack three-space effects rack for a Carvin DCM1000 and a SansAmp RBI. Should I mount the power amp on top to protect the RBI because heat rises, or should I put it on the bottom to keep the weight low in the case? Does it matter?

2. I normally put the heavy stuff on the bottom. Does the DCM1000 have vents on the top? If not, then most of the heat should be shot out the back of the amp, and not into the rack. I don't think that it would get hot enough to the point where it would do any damage to other things, before it would get damaged itself.

jtbp

3. a while back someone bent their skb case because they put too much weight at the top. if your worried about heat you could always flip it over in between songs. :D

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Are you sure the RotoRack is deep enough for the Carvin?

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    The guy at MARS told me to always put the power amp on the bottom, don't know what he based that on though.

6. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    i have the carvin r1000 bass head and i put it in an skb roto-rack with no prob, plenty deep. as far as heat goes, all the hot air goes out the back og the amp so it has not been a problem

7. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    Most (and I stress most...cus there are a few exceptions...) Amp/Head mfrs....design there products with the intent for it to be rack mounted.

That said......the 'venting' is usually from front to back ......or side to back......

which means that you can 'rack' gear directly on top.......

Keep the amp on the bottom.

Peter

8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    may i suggest getting the one with wheels? i got a 6 space skb roto with wheels for xmas (only using 2 spaces as of now....GK400RB) and the thing would be kind of akward to carry. i like the wheels.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the responses, people.

LW - wheels? Not like casters, right? What, soes it roll around with a pull-up handle?

10. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    yeah its like a luggage cart style thing, with 2 rolllerblade wheels and a pull up handle. i really like it.

definatly gets my recommendation