Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rack Construction/Cooling Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Guiseppe, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I'm putting together my first rack system, part of which is going to be an Ampeg SVP1600 power amp, which apparantly needs a LOT of breathing room. I guess I'm curious about a couple issues...

1) From those of you w/ racks, how do you recommend cooling? I'm already thinking I'll just leave a space above the power amp, and maybe just put a $10 clamp on desk fan on the back of the rack to assist in circulate air. (but I'm wondering if I'm not going to create a lot of line noise doing it).

2) I haven't looked at racks in depth yet, but haven't seen any that have premade side vents...how DO you cool your gear that has its cooling fans/vents on their sides?

Hopefully, I'm not asking questions that haven't already been answered...but after playing for some 30 years and making my first "real" attempt at playing "semi" professionally, I want my sound to be tight, and that (to me, anyway) entails having pro gear that sounds bitchin'...I don't want to have to worry about overheating.
    :bassist:

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Does that amp have a fan in it? Can't tell by looking at the Ampeg web page. My SKB rack has enough room for air to curculate arond the sides of My b4r. The b4r also has a fan that pulls air through it. Still gets pretty hot though in bridged mono mode. It's a 3 space amp and I have it in a 4 space rack with a vented/slotted panel in the 1 rack space above it. My other set up is a 2 space yamaha power amp an empty space above that, then my ampeg SVPCL on top. Plenty of breathing room.

3. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I actually am ordering it next month, and planning ahead...it appears to have a fan/vent on its left side as well as in the rear. I'm planning on leaving 2 spaces open on top, as well as clip a small fan on the back of the rack to circulate air...

4. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    I have an Ampeg SVT-4Pro mounted in an SKB rack. There isn't more than an inch on either side of the amp. The 4-Pro shares the power amp section with your SVP1600, so it should be a good comparison. The cooling is actually through the sides, as you seem to already know. The fan is mounted on the end of the heat sinks for the output devices. It takes air in through one side of the amp, and blows it out the other. Having this amp mounted in a rack, I did leave a space above it, but I don't even think that's necessary. It doesn't get anything more than warm under my use, and I like my stuff loud. The air seems to circulate well around the amp in the SKB case.

I did think about drilling some holes in either side of the rack to allow air flow, however this does eliminate the water resistance of the SKB cases. I am not overly concerned about that, so if heat ever was an issue, or I filled the space above the amplifier with some other piece of gear, I may drill holes in either side of the rack.

Hopefully this is somewhat helpful.

Out of curiousity, which preamp are you going to use?

5. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Posted a reply last night, not sure why it didn't end up where it should have!

I'm going to use the Ampeg SVT-CL preamp; my plans are to use 2 seperate racks (partially to eliminate the cooling problems - if I need to - and partially to distribute the weight between 2 racks for hauling). I'm going to put my power amp on the bottom, then have a empty space, then put my power conditioner (hopefully everything from my top rack will still reach the AC jacks!)

I've emailed Anvil and a couple other case companies to see if they have any suggestions/ideas.