Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rack constuction/cooling

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Guiseppe, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I'm putting together my first rack system, part of which is going to be an Ampeg SVP1600 power amp, which apparantly needs a LOT of breathing room. I guess I'm curious about a couple issues...I'm putting together my first rack system, part of which is going to be an Ampeg SVP1600 power amp, which apparantly needs a LOT of breathing room. I guess I'm curious about a couple issues...

1) From those of you w/ racks, how do you recommend cooling? I'm already thinking I'll just leave a space above the power amp, and maybe just put a $10 clamp on desk fan on the back of the rack to assist in circulate air. (but I'm wondering if I'm not going to create a lot of line noise doing it).

2) I haven't looked at racks in depth yet, but haven't seen any that have premade side vents...how DO you cool your gear that has its cooling fans/vents on their sides?

Hopefully, I'm not asking questions that haven't already been answered...but after playing for some 30 years and making my first "real" attempt at playing "semi" professionally, I want my sound to be tight, and that (to me, anyway) entails having pro gear that sounds bitchin'...I don't want to have to worry about overheating.
    :bassist:

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'd be moving this to the amps forum. You'll get more hits over there.

Im not familiar with that particular power amp but I'm going to assume it has no cooling fan of it's own. If it does, ther'd be no need for additional cooling.

Those $10 fans you mentioned actually work very well. Lots of people simply clip them to the back of the rack.

If you amp vents to the sides, you might want to consider doing what I did to my rack case and install small fans like the ones shown in the picture. My amp couldn't get hot if it tried.

3. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Thanks for the suggestion...(I'm not sure if there is a "ordained" way of moving from thread to thread, so I just made a new post in amps and copy/pasted to there). I'd kicked around getting some sort of industrial/computer fan and doing that, but since I'm buying a new rack as well (and hate to have to cut a hole in the side of a brand new rack) I was just curious if there was another way...

Thanks for the pic, too...good idea :cool:

4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I keep my power amp in a separate case.

My SWR SM400-S has an internal fan,
    but that puppy can get really hot.
    Hot enough to melt an SKB case.

Since I keep it in a 2 sp. rack case
    I built some homemade cooling with Panaflo Fans.
    (the "hydro" bearing makes them one of the quietest fans available)

The trick for making them super quiet is to cut
    the amount of power they receive.

My fans together (24v ea.) are running on 9v total (of 48v).
    This slows them down significantly (+CFM = +Noise)
    but creates a nice breeze.

Amp runs practically dead cold for extended periods at high volume.

Big improvements by just to have any kind of air circulation.

Even a 'clip-on' fan would work.

Be creative.

Attached Files:

5. I did similar thing to my rack as Finger Blister. I just mounted a 3" fan on the top rack rail. I drilled two holes in the upper rack rail, and mounted the fan to the upper right side, and put a standard plug on and connected it to my power supply. It takes the hot air out of the rack. I used to have serious overheating problems, it's fine now.

6. atoni

atoni

Jan 23, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: Salo Guitars
  7. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
  8. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    petebass, how do you power the fan? is it a special poiwer supply?

thanks

9. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    After considering some of the pro's and con's of rack construction, I've decided to go with ATA style - yes a little heavier but I like the convenience of having some "space" when I need it. I looked at the "luggage" type Gator racks (w/ wheels and retracting handle) but the fit looked just a little tight. My rack(s) are going to hold a Ampeg SVP1600, Ampeg SVP-CL (that's one), and the other will have a Korg DTR2000, Alesis 3630, Alesis Midiverb 4, and an Aphex 204. All this is going to a Schroeder 21012. Part of the reason I'm going with an ATA style case is that I'm really concerned about the SVP1600 having side vents for cooling, so that style of case will be a lot easier to modify than trying to go through the molded plastic of a SKB/Gator style case.

I'll send pics when I'm done...new cab should be here in about 2 weeks, the rack gear should be here before that!

:D

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep a seperate 12 power supply. To make things easier, I put a power strip into the back of the rack and plug both the 12V adapter and the amp into it. So all I have to do at a gig its take the lids off and plug the power strip into the wall.

I thought about running a fan off the amp's power supply. I went for the seperate power supply - Partly bacause I don't like messing with 240 volts, and partly because it gives you the option of turning the fans off if you're, say recording and the engineer is complaining about fan noise.