Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rack dimensions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Dec 3, 2004.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    what are standard rack dimensions? are they universal? it seems like to me that from one side of the rack to the other (actualy mounting space) is 19 inches. and im curious if all rack gear or most of it fits in that 19 inches. i mostly want to know about the ASHDOWN rack gear. if i converted from mm to inches right then the ashdown stuff is longer than 19 inches? any help would be great. thanks

2. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    My former Ashdown RPM-1 preamp mounted fine in a normal SKB rack case. It had the same measurements as other rack gear.

3. 19 inches is the standard width for racks and rack gear, most rack gear will fit in that space (or half that space in some cases for 1/2 rack space units).

The depth of gear and racks does vary though, so that's the dimension you should be a little bit more concerned with.

4. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

BINGO!

here's an example..
    I have two Boogie RoadReady SUS Racks and the Mackie 1400 power amp will not fit in either of them because of depth dimensions. :meh:

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    what would be a good sure fire depth? this way i dont get the wrong dimensions and have to buy twice? ive seen 19 deep and 22 deep so far. what do yall think?

6. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    well..here's what I can tell you

The SKB (plastic) rack is 15 inches deep BUT with the covers on, add 4 inches to make 19 inches total. The Mackie1400 will fit my SKB racks even tho the handles stick out the front and it sticks out the back too......BUT, the covers will fit on for transport...so it works even tho it's a light duty rack.

on the other hand...my Boogie SUS racks which are heavy duty racks...also go 15 inches from rack rail to the back, but the covers are recessed(they sit flush and do not add the 4 inches)...so the Mackie will fit...but the recessed Boogie rack covers will not. So I have the dilemma of using a heavy amp with a light weight rack..which I don't really like. It's okay for local use..but it doesn't cut it on the road.

I'd measure the Ashdown gear and purchase the type of rack you need based on if you want a SKB style plastic rack...or if you need a heavy duty rack with recessed covers, and the Ashdown gear is deeper then 15 inches..you'll need the 22 inch depth.

I hope I didn't confuse the issue :)

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    im looking at an ata shock mount road rack thing. it looks pretty durable. but thanks for the info everyone.