1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rack Ears for Gallien-Krueger 400RB (original RB series)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by louloomis, Apr 22, 2017.

1. louloomis

louloomis

Dec 28, 2004
    Hi. Is there source (aftermarket or otherwise) for rack ears which will fit the plain old 400RB (the original RB series - not the II, III, IV)?

Thanks in advance.

LL

2. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Definitely a hard to find item.
    You may have to have someone machine some, or figure out a way to rig it.

3. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    The original 400RB does not use just rack ears, the entire side is replaced for ones that have the ears built in ... as SUNN says, VERY hard to find, other than on a head being sold that has them ... I have had several, but only one set left (currently installed on the best lil'old 400RB I have ever played through) ... you could certainly take your sides off, and go to Menards/Home Depot and grab the shortest piece of aluminum angle iron you can find and cut/drill/bolt to your sides ... I have seen it done a few times, probably easiest too, just have to notch around the handle on the one side ...

SunnBass likes this.
  4. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    Don't know if this helpful but, when I had a rack I bought a 1U shelf with perforated holes in the bottom & removed the feet on my GK200 head & mounted it on the shelf

MB200_zpsfrlfxtr6.jpg

k.graz likes this.
  5. I have made rack ears with Home Depot angle aluminum.
    Take your time and think about what you are doing and you should be just fine.

6. funkytoe

funkytoe In Memoriam

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    I have a spare set sitting around here somewhere. PM me if you are looking to buy a set and we can see if we can reach a deal.

grinx likes this.
  7. HarveySpaceBass

HarveySpaceBass

Sep 24, 2007
    It was a few years back but I had to call GK directly to get them for my 400RB (Original). You might want to try giving them a call. Perhaps they still have some laying around.

8. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    You could try a store that sells computer components. I got lucky and found rack ears laying around in my old job that belonged to an old Ethernet hub that was not being used. They're not perfect but they get the job done.

gk2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  9. louloomis

louloomis

Dec 28, 2004
    Thanks, everyone. Great suggestions!

LL

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021