Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rack effect search

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nails, Dec 21, 2000.

1. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I've been on an equipment discovery mission lately. A bass player who's really influenced me has an effect and I'm interesting in finding out what it is. All general directions are as if you're facing the device. It's a rack effect, 1 unit high, has a silver face, what appears to be 8 knobs, a numerical display toward the right side (red numbers like a digital alarm clock, 2 digits wide) and the power switch is on the far left side. I'm getting this off of a photo I've enlarged and I can't enhance the quality at all, but it appears that the input is on the left side also, but I'm guessing that it also has inputs on the rear as well.

Here's what he has in his rack: Top space the mystery device, under that a Pod Bass Pro, then 2 Eden WT-800s. I doubt it's a preamp, my guess would be that it's a envelope filter type of effect.

Thanks for any help you can give me on this search,
    -Nails

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    http://www.tech21nyc.com/

THe PSA1 has 8 knobs on a silver face with 2 digit led display. However its a guitar tube(valve) emulator/overdive.
    Did the bassplayer using the mystery unit have a distorted sound?

I tried the [​IMG]

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Nails,
    From your desciption, it sounds like a SansAmp PSA-1 (But, I could be wrong). The PSA-1 is more a guitar pre-amp - But...
    ...It does have 10 out of 49 factory presets dedicated for bass.

4. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    is this it:
    [​IMG]

it's possible if it was modified. john myung of dream theater uses a modified mesa-boogie tri-axis in his bass rig. the unit was modified to accomodate the lower frequencies.

Mesa-Boogie Tri-Axis
    [​IMG]

[i should have read previous posts more thoroughly.] so in that case, maybe the unit need not be modified to be used in a bass rig.

[Edited by ubersam on 12-22-2000 at 01:13 PM]

5. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    That SansAmp looks like what he's using. He does use a distorted sound, I kind of figured it was from a stomp box and not a rack. Thanks for all the help guys.

-Nails