1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rack effects and pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DirtyDuke, Oct 2, 2013.

1. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    So, I have an Eden WT800 and a pedal train pro that is at max capacity. I do not want to do to a bigger board:rolleyes:

So what I am thinking of is getting a rack compressor, eq, and Sonic maximizer.

This will free up 3 spots for additional pedals. Any draw back to using both rack and pedals?

2. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    Generalizations:
    Pedals are lighter
    Pedals take up less space
    Rack equipment can't be switched on and off w/ a footswitch (most of the time)

Theoretically there is no difference in function, only form.

3. DirtyDuke

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Thanks,

So what I am doing is adding a rack eq and removing the Boss 7 band (always on) from my pedalboard.

Same with my compressor and Sonic Maximizer, they are always on, so I see no need to fill up valuable space with them, lol

So now, I have room for for FUZZ, OD and Distortion, ;)

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Important to make sure you are able to connect everything at its optimal signal level. For example if you don't have a line-level fx loop or preamp insert point in your amp rig, some rack devices won't work as well as they should.

Check out the articles about "line level" and "fx loops" in the faq linked in my sig for more details (and confusion).

5. DirtyDuke

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Thank you. It is an Eden WT800. I hope Im ok

6. DirtyDuke

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Its an Eden WT800, sonic maximizer, Rane DC24, and DBX dual 15 band eq, see any issues?

7. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well, aside from my opinion that you don't need the Maximizer or the EQ, no--you should be fine. The WT800 has a line-level fx loop.

8. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I agree

9. DirtyDuke

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Your probably right. Gonna try without either. The para eq on my eden seems to stop workingvat about 100 htz

10. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What do you mean?

11. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    Why not get a small say 2 space rack and get one of those slide out shelves for it, then populate it with your always on pedals.

12. johnbegone

johnbegone

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I have both pedals on the floor and racked pedals in a rackmount bypass looper (patchmate). The only issue for me is signal flow. For example, I like having my VT bass last in my signal chain before the amp, when I added rack effects I had to take the VT off my pedalboard and put it in my rack as well, etc.

Basically I've put all my dirt on the floor and modulation mostly resides in my rack on a shelf. I try to do midi controlled everything in the rack so I can change presets, etc. (Strymon, Line 6, Eventide)