Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rack Effects Hum

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Razor, May 12, 2003.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Anyone who uses rack effects with a head unit help me out. I have a monster load of effects units and they all feed into my Hartke head. I am getting more noise than I want out of the setup and I was wondering if I put all of the rack effects in the head's effects loop if you all think that will eliminate at least a portion of the hum. Whaddaya think?

2. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    give it a try, although I owned a Hartke head for several years (it was a 3500), and I always thought there was some unwanted noise from the head. You might want to consider a rack noise gate.

3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    how do you have all your stuff mounted in your rack? are you using some sort of Humfrees or something like that? You know, the little plastic washer-like clips that go around your rack ears and isolate your rack gear from the rack itself... They work wonders!

Oh yeah, try everything through the effects loop.... most rack gear was designed to be run just that way!

P@

4. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    You might want to consider a power conditioner (eg Samson Powerbrite). This can power your entire rack from one, clean source, which can sometimes clean up the signal. With a lot of effects, it would prove safer too.

5. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    With several effects you may find that switching the way you plug in their wall wart or regular plug (if possible on either) can make a difference. Also if it is a wall wart, sometimes keeping it a certain distance away from the amp and effects helps a lot (if the cord to the wart allows for any distance). On my Hartke 5000, I also find it quieter through the effects loop.

6. You may be experiencing the cumlative effect of several noisy effects in series as well. Each item in the single chain will add a some amount of hiss and some are worse then others. Try by-passing each effect and you may be able to determine if one ot two are generating the noise. Also, at the end of the chain you can add a gate to quiet things down between notes/songs.