Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rack Effects OR Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Curse, May 7, 2001.

1. Curse

Curse

May 1, 2001
    Hey Alls,

I've been feeling the need for some sort of stuff to screw with my sound. Anyway, I've been planning on getting a couple of pedals:

EH - Q-Tron+
    T.C. Electronic - Chorus
    An EQ Pedal
    and some sort of Distortion

That's the list I had in mind, but I wanted to get some thoughts on it. First, I wanted to know if any of you bass cats out there have dug any Rack Effects Units that can match/exceed the sounds of the top two pedals? What do you suggest more, rack or pedals? I've been thinking about T.C.'s G-Force. Does anyone have any experience with it or the Fireworx or the G-Major?

I don't want to do both, just one or the other (I don't want to have a rack unit w/midi pedal and then need other pedals lined up next to it)- and I really want to get the effect that the Q-Tron has. So what do you suggest? I'm not too concerned with the price of a rack unit if it's worth it. Also, I play a 6-String and I've seen some units (both pedals / and racks) that don't work with the low B.

2. I don't think there's any rack processor out there, that comes very close to replicating such a funky contraption as Q-Tron. There are auto-wah's in several processors, but those that I've heard are more or less the 'quack box' variety (therefore suitable to guitarists!), I'm afraid. Q-Tron is way too much slimey and slippery to be captured into a rack!

There are some fine rack choruses, though, but tweaking effects on the fly isn't too easy when you have to scroll your way through parameters and banks! Better stick to a good floor unit.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    In my experience, you are much better off with the pedals you have listed. Rack units, even expensive ones always seem to fall short somewhere. With the pedals you can add or subtract individual units without buying the same effect twice, and you get exactly what you want. I have the Qtron plus, there is no rack unit or multi pedal that comes close.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I pretty much agree. As for the Q-Tron, just buy the pedal. I don't know of a rack unit that will provide the same effect with the same quality. Choruses can be come by in racks quite well, however. In fact, there are so many out there that are high quality, limiting it to just one will be difficult. TC Electronics has many rack units that do just that. But, they're probably overkill for that.

There are also rack effects for distortion and eq. I think John Turner uses a Marshall for distortion, and he seems happy. Most distortion units are actually built for guitar, not bass, so you run the risk of losing low end. Of course, there are others...

But, if you get a rack unit and want to switch on the fly, then you'll need a MIDI foot switch. It can be done.