Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rack Effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RevGroove, Dec 1, 2002.

1. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    If there was one single space rack effect unit that you could not do without, what would it be? Makes, models, and reasons why please! Cheers!:)

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

For me that would be my Raven-Labs True Blue EQ. It is great for getting rid of boom from a room, adding a little sizzle, or adding a little flavor to the mids. Great unit. (Although not really rack friendly I'm afraid.)

3. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Thanks! Why isn't it rack friendly? I'm looking for the latest, greatest, and best in single space RACK effects.

4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

'Cause it is a box about 1/3 rack wide and 1-1/2 rack spaces tall.

5. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Hmmm...yeh, that's kinda different...any other suggestions out there?

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    LOL. So if the best semi-parametric EQ is not available in rack mount, it's not for you.

7. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Well, I already have a decent EQ...and if I were to get it, I'd just mount it differently, that's all...leaving room for something else in that single space!!!

8. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Hmmmm, let's see here,

Well, when setting up a rack system for a bass, there are so many. Good pre-amp, EQ, compressor, sonic maximizer, stereo effects unit and power amp (http://www.basskahuna.com/equipment/index.shtml)

Overall, two items that probably are used in a rack system for most working bassists is a compressor and a BBE sonic maximizer. Although I do have a really old 2 rack space analog Roland phase shifter that I will never part with! :D )

9. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    The one single space rack effect unit that I could not do without is the ADA MB-1 Preamp.
    It is no longer sold but can be frequently found used at www.musicgoround.com or on ebay.
    It has both tube and solid-state preamp sections, a compressor, semi-paramtric EQ, chorus and a crossover.
    Settings can be stored and easily recalled.
    The tube and solid-state sections can be blended and several different contours are available for each.
    The compressor is very musical sounding.
    The EQ has 5 bands, 3 of which are semi-parametric while the Hi and Lo bands are shelving.
    There is a separate limiter for the low channel of the crossover (for speaker protection).
    It also has 2 effect loops.
    The factory presets are designed for certain amp simulations.
    See this site for more detail:
    http://clifford.webservepro.com/~sweetpea/personnel/rob/mb-1/default.htm

Before I used the ADA MB-1, I used a BBE 383 Bass Preamp. It also has a compressor, eq and crossover as well as the BBE Sonic Maximizer process. It also is discontinued but can be frequently found used.