1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rack guys, do you pink your rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rolandm, Apr 7, 2015.

1. rolandm

rolandm In search of the lowest note.

Aug 8, 2010
    Peoria, IL
    At a recent gig with my '80s hair metal tribute band, I tested an idea. My rig is a GK BL600 into a dbx163 compressor, into one side of a dbx215 EQ, then back to the return of the GK and into my Acoustic B810 cab.
    What I tested was, would pinking the cab for where it was at, and where I was going to hear it, make much of a difference. So, I ran a pink noise generator into my 163's front jack, adjusted the 215 EQ to flatten the spectrum analyzer (was notably heavy at about 160-500, and very lifeless lower than that), and then adjusted my B channel (clean) on the BL600 to taste for my bass. To me, it sounded great, but I was wondering if anyone else did this as a regular measure, and if so, what feedback have you gotten from others (soundmen, bandmates, etc.), if any?

2. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    let me understand your measurement... you played pink noise through your rig and then you adjusted by ear how 'good' the pink noise sounded?
    you know that the way your perceived the pink noise will change if you increase the level, if you change your ear position and if you change the room.

3. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    As a bassist and a working Audio Technician... in a word - No.. I do not

4. I'm no sound engineer, but the way I read the OP's message, he used a spectrum analyzer to measure the pink noise and adjusted for a flat response. Not sure how you interpreted that to mean he dialed in a "good enough" sound by ear...

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    No, but my goal has never ever been 'flat'.

Not even as a starting point.

mbelue, rodl2005 and Fuzzbass like this.
  6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Do not analyze with the compressor in the signal chain unless it's set so that the comp threshold is set at least 12dB greater than the test signal. The peaks of the pink noise signal can trigger the comp which will give very skewed (and varying) readings because the peaks are frequency randomized and may not indicate on the GR metering.

It could be useful BUT resist the temptation to correct below about 40Hz on most cabinets as power handling begins to fall quickly.

okcrum likes this.
  7. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I have done it, but only as an experiment.

I have a Behringer DEQ2496 that I used to use in our PA rack. The purpose of this bit of gear was to RTA the Bill Fitzmaurice Jack 12 Lites that I use as FOH speakers. It's easy enough to do, you just find an outside space, hook the DEQ up to the power amp (it sits between the mixer/preamp and poweramp anyway), plug a reference mic into the DEQ, then hit AutoEQ. You get an option to enter a response curve that you want the DEQ to achieve - I used a flat EQ but you can roll of the highs, lows or whatever you want. The system then plays pink noise through the speaker and the unit automatically adjusts its graphic EQ to give you the target EQ you wanted...you just have to watch it do its thing until the adjustments it is making are small. It's almost harder to describe than do and only takes a couple of minutes. What you are doing is fooling the system into seeing the speaker cab as having flat response, then you can use a regular graphic to EQ for the room. Driveracks have a similar function.

Because it's so easy, I hooked it up between my ART Pre and the Crown and did an RTA on my Barefaced cab to give me a flat response, then took it inside and played through it...I must admit it sounded very good, but too much hassle to go through for every room.

As Agedhorse has pointed out, I knocked out all the frequencies below 40hz so that it was acting like a high pass filter, and I believe that I also knocked out anything above 10Khz

Although the DEQ still sits in the PA rack, I haven't used it since I got my X32 mixer. The X32 has a 6 band parametric on every output, so I've loaded this up with a response curve tha makes my FOH speakers basically flat...then I just use a 31 band graphic inserted into the Fx buss of the output channel (upstream of the parametric). Then I just play some reference tracks as part of our pre-show canned music and tweak the graphic until it sounds good in the room. That usually gets me about 90% there, then as I open the mics up, I use the spectragraph display to highlight any frequencies that are ringing, and make further minor tweaksto the graphic. Repeat with the monitors and we're done...without the audience getting pinked.

That's for Pa though...for bass I just use my ears

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  8. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Never have pinked my rig but have given serious thought to purchasing a pink bass. Not sure if that counts for anything. :)

M. M.

9. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I thought you were going to be showing pics of your 80's-styled rig

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I have a passing interest in flat, simply as a reference point, but my goal is a bass tone that I like, and I don't care in the least whether it's flat or not.

F'r instance, my favorite cab ever is the Bergantino NV610: it is not flat, and it would never occur to me to try to make it flat.

BurningSkies likes this.
  11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    [​IMG]

SteveCS, groucho, bass10bfb and 6 others like this.
  12. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I like to have a passing acquaintance with what the closest to flat setting is on my amp. It gives me a better idea of how to twist those knobs to get what I want. Fer instance I know that with a bassman tonestack, I'll dime the mid before I start messin' with the other stuff.

I just ordered a new poweramp with DSP...and I'm already thinking about what I'm going to do with the low mids...a place that many amps and preamps lack much control in.

13. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    +1
    The baked in voice for most gear is what I'm looking for.
    if I wanted flat I would just go DI into the mains and monitor mix.
    Also, the quality of the measurement equipment and mic placement to the SA will make a huge difference for bass

14. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Oh, by the way, "Which one is Pink?"

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My dog pinked my rig once.

bass10bfb, mbelue, Burwabit and 3 others like this.
  16. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Not that I do it either, but I'm curious as to why it's limited to racks or rack guys?

17. Shedua511

Shedua511

Apr 6, 2013
    Oslo, Norway
    Agent for Scandinavian countries: Stick Enterprises Inc.
    I never pinked mÿ rig, but my rig punked me a couple of times...

18. I thought this was about pink tolex, or rear led lighting stuff.

only time I use pink noise is when I am calibrating my tape machine.

but I love that hello kitty amp!

19. Isn't this what cabinet designers spend months doing before they go to market? Isn't it also the way that they "optimise" a specific cab for its matching head?

Personally I do it for a PA install, but seldom can be bothered for a role in role out type gig, and certainly can never be bothered to do it with my bass rig!

20. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Hard to look at it the same way after your dog's molested it, huh?

JimmyM likes this.