Rack/Head damage possible?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Razor, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Another question for you experienced people out here in TB land.
    Anyone experienced any damage to their head/rack/effect units when using them sitting on top of speakers? I, as most bass players I know, set the rack unit on top of my stack. However given the new setup I have been using, which is a much more bass friendly cabinet, I am semi-concerned it might cause damage (vibration) to my effects and such in the rack. I'm not really worried about it vibrating off the stack because my current rack weighs a ton, but I was wondering what comments you all have on the matter.
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I wouldn't worry. You'd be more likely to do damage of a vibration kind driving to the gig. I try to transport all my electrical stuff in cases that have some sort of padding coz that's when things get bumped and dropped. But bass rig vibration wouldn't do any harm IMO.
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    My SKB racked PLX2402 sings quite a tune when it's sitting on my cabinets. A piece of foam between rack and cab fixed that.
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you'd probably have to be terribly loud to have enough vibration to damage the rack gear.
  5. Er0

Jan 15, 2003
    St Louis MO
    do you have a shock mounted case?

plus i am sure these days most companies build amps and what not to take a little beating
  6. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I fold up the padded cover from my cabinet and put that between the rack and the cab.
  7. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Even a thick piece of fabric, a folded jumper or something should do the trick.