1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rack kit for Mesa D-800+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by azfatboy, Nov 3, 2017.

1. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    I would like to try racking my D-800+ head, but couldn't find any kind of rack kit on Mesa Boogie's site. So I searched here too, and still couldn't really find a thread that provides a definitive answer. Is there a way to rackmount a Mesa D-800+ ?

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Yes, but it involves some custom metal work along with a flanged (for stiffness) 2 unit rack shelf.

I believe I posted info on this before.

bjelkeman likes this.
  3. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    I'm sure, and I just searched again for something as simple as "rack D-800" and nada. I even looked through YOUR posts, and I just couldn't find it, although admittedly, I only looked in the first few pages--I don't have the time to look through all 14+K of your posts... :)

But all that aside, why doesn't Mesa/Boogie offer a standard rack kit for the Subway heads? And why would a 5LB head require extra flanging and a shelf for extra support? There are a lot heavier heads that can be racked with nothing more than some bent metal rack ears... It also seems kind of a cop-out answer to me. Of course I can "rack" just about anything I want--if I put it on a friggin shelf!

I gotta be honest, this is bumming me out, major. No rack-mountability was one of the only things I didn't like about my PF-800. Such an absurd oversight IMO (it might even be the single biggest reason I sold it and picked up a D-800+). So absurd, that I didn't even consider for a second that Mesa heads wouldn't have ears as standard equipment, or at the very least, a standard accessory... Looks like the joke's on me... :(

4. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Sadly, the amp style pendulum has swung so far in the direction of small/light that it's hard to even see those of us on the other side that still prefer racking gear for protection at this point - even if we do like and want to use those newer smaller amps (no, I do not want to pack a lightly padded amp-bag in the back of the van).

I'm pretty sure the pendulum will swing back at some point, or at least come back a little bit, but for now, as far as new products go, it seems like there's little desire to support rack users because we're just so few and far between.

It disappoints me too.

Revv, FiveStringer1 and azfatboy like this.
  5. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    I would imagine, from my experience putting together pedal boards, that removing the amp's feet and attaching it to one of these rack shelves with an adequate amount of 3M Dual Lock from Home Depot would be more than strong enough to hold a 6 pound amp in place: CableTronix Shelf-SLT 2-Space Slotted Rack Shelf (2 RU)

Perhaps running a zip tie around it parallel to the face plate and through the vents in the shelf for extra insurance would be wise, too.

6. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Sorry to disappoint you so badly.

30 seconds and here you go, 2 different ways to do this: Official Mesa Boogie Subway Series Club

We do not offer a rack mount kit because the VAST majority of players showed no interest in rack mounting these amps. In fact, most buy them specifically because of the small size. Why a flanged rack shelf? Because without a flange in the front and back, they will flex a lot under real world use regardless of the load. I would not recommend an unflanged shelf for anything.

FYI, bent ears seem simple until the structure internal to the amp is considered, as this must handle the loads of transport and all of the accidental drops, bumps and bruises that REAL WORLD conditions present.

Sorry you feel it's so absurd. If it doesn't work for you as is, or you are not willing to do a little DIY work (at less cost than a rack kit would be anyway) then this is not the right amp for you and you should look for something that suits your needs better.

The joke is not on you, there's no joke here at all.

7. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    Well, I did say "Is there a way to rack mount a D-800+?", and that is an answer. I suppose I should've added "... besides throwing it on a shelf..."

It does seem the trend. I am in the position of having to manage a lot more equipment than just my little "bass stack", so that is certainly a driver for me. Having it in the rack just reduces the amount of crap I have to worry about. And the small size/weight is beneficial whether the head is racked or not.

I would agree. I just found it odd that it merited specific mention with regard to this ridiculously lightweight head...

Well, that's kind of my idea--to *avoid* drops and bumps. Something that seems a lot more likely to happen in a bag than a rolling rack...

hmmm, I'm not trying to (nor am I going to) get into a pissing match with you. You are the only person on TB that I actually "follow"...

But maybe it isn't... :)

8. McFarlin

McFarlin Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    s38.gif

9. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    This might work

Attached Files:

10. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    cnc-machine-752587.jpg

11. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    If you wish to use a shelf, this is a dandy (for peanuts): Cantilever Shelf

And the slots + a bit of ingenuity allow you to secure it to the shelf, rather than throw it in the shelf.

azfatboy likes this.
  12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Pelican camera case. If it gets damaged in that, you've had a wreck.

Downunderwonder, rmars and Charlzm like this.
  13. CharlieFla

CharlieFla

Nov 3, 2017
    I’ve used a clamping rack shelf with no problems with my D800.

Try this: Chief Manufacturing TR2 Trap Shelf 2 RU | Full Compass

SubNoizeRat3691 likes this.
  14. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    The rear flange is turned down which will not fit in 2U if there is anything below.

15. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    CharlieFla likes this.
  16. CharlieFla

CharlieFla

Nov 3, 2017
    This was my first post after years of lurking. I think I’ll quit while I’m ahead.

17. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    MO
    Naw, you’re good so long as you don’t whine about a mass produced product not matching your custom needs perfectly. Or mix cabs. Or suggest that the P bass isn’t the alpha and omega of bass. Or wear shorts on stage. Or...

akrachanko, Revv, WoodyJ and 7 others like this.
  18. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    I gave you a like so now you have a 1:1 post-to-like ratio (2 posts, 2 likes).

That's a lifetime accomplishment in these parts.

96tbird, lomo and CharlieFla like this.
  19. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Mmm, yes, that is the front to me, but yes a show stopper unless you can allow 1/2 RU for this application.

20. FiveStringer1

FiveStringer1

Oct 28, 2013
    I called Mesa and asked them about this and they said there is NO rack kit and no plans to create one. That SUCKS!! Too bad someone could come out with an after-market one... they would sell...!!

Revv and azfatboy like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021