Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rack mount cases: what brands do you like?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Guiseppe, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I've contacted a couple companies to get information, w/ no response yet. I'm going to be buying 5u and 4u cases, was looking at Anvil but haven't made my mind up. Suggestions are welcomed, appreciated even!! :smug:

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the regular skb cases (not the roto racks) are really good. From what i hear, gator aren't so bad either. Calzone and anvil are also great, but they get kinda heavy.

3. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I have 2 space and 4 space SKB cases, and I love them. Never had a problem with them. Just my $.02

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I have a hodge-podge of just about every case made. I like Rock Hard cases for wooden ones and SKB for the molded cases. Rock Hard is in Oregon and is relatively inexpensive and they are really cool guys. SKB you can get anywhere, I am not sure they make a 5 space rack.

5. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I'll have to check them out, since they're local and all. Not sure why, but I just like the wooden ones...are the molded cases that much lighter?

6. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Light as a feather. I have a 6 space SKB and a 2 space Rock Hard and they weight the same.

7. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    :meh: I'm gonna have to look at that...like I said in earlier post, I'm trying to make this thing as portable/lightweight as possible (but the wood ones do look cooler...gonna have to go kick my ego's A$$ to figure this one out, I think...):ninja:

8. Bennito

Bennito

Sep 12, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Have you found problems with the roto racks? I'm also looking at buying a rack, and I was considering the roto racks. Opinions?

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I like the Mesa racks...

[​IMG]

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

How much abuse do you expect the rack to receive? See my next post...

11. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    SKB with the wheels! It was a must, at least before I swapped in the PLX for the RMX.

Troll

12. Fuzzbass

I gig regularly... almost every weekend. My two main racks for the past few years (a 4U and a 6U) have been Roto Racks, and they've held up just fine.

Note: I move my own gear and am reasonably careful. If I had to trust my gear to others, especially others I don't know, I'd probably go with standard SKB cases. But the Rotos have been great. They're nice and lightweight. They are a bit bulkier than standard racks, but I believe this has a nice advantage: shock absorption. My previous rack, a non-padded Anvil, was much sturdier... but any shock to the rack would mostly be transmitted to the gear inside.

If you're going to ship your gear, or have it thrown around by roadies, then you'll want a padded ATA style case like Benjamin's. :)

13. Fuzzbass

P.S. Yeah, I use lightweight Class H amplifiers in my racks. But even if I used heavier ones I might still use Rotos.

14. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    For a molded type case I like the MTS stuff. I have both a 4-space and a 2-space.

15. You might wanna try Clydesdale cases here in Canada. They're our equivalent of Anvil.

16. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I use the roto racks and have never had a problem. They are frequently moved for gigs and they've held up fine. The only thing I worry about is the latches on the back panel. They are not metal, they are plastic and I keep waiting for them to break, but ok so far.

17. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    SKB cases all the way!

Stay away from CNB ones...they only LOOK like SKB

Also I don't like the wood ones...too heavy.

18. I just got a road ready rack. This thing is a tank. Very similiar to anvil racks. If weight isn't that big of an issue, check them out.

19. I just bought a 4space roto-rack new, and all the latches were metal on both sides. No flimsy plastic stuff here.

20. Oddly, I am with Benjamin Strange on this one.... I wouldn't cart around my Aguilar monster (DB680+DB728) in anything less than a Mesa Boogie SUS-4 with the recessed handle and wheels option. That suspension system makes travel much easier on your tubes.