Rack-mount Compression??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mattm0805, Jan 31, 2005.

1. mattm0805

Oct 13, 2004
    I am in the market for a rack-mount(half space) compressor, under $200. any suggestion? I really like the RNC compressor, but I wanted to see what everybody else is using.

thanks for your time.
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

For the past few years I've been using the Rane DC-24 Dynamic Controller: it compresses highs and lows separately, has hard limiting in addition to compression (for speaker protection). It also has an expander (noise gate), which I never use because I have a quiet rig. The dual-band compression keeps lows from disappearing when I pop a string, and keeps highs from disappearing when I lay down heavy fingerstyle. It also has automatic program sensing, so there are no attack and release controls: I like not having to bother with setting those parameters manually.

I've heard many great things about the RNC. I might've tried it by now, but being that it's in such a small box it has 1/4" ins and outs only, plus I'd have to order the rackmount kit for it. That's too much bother considering how happy I am with my current compressor.
  3. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have used a RaneDC24. They are nice.

I am currently using a PreSonus Blue Max Compressor. It has manual or presets. I use Fretted Preset 1 and it works great. Simple, easy, quiet, $65 used and 1/2 rack space.
  4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Do a search on "dbx compressor" - you'll find a lot of info there, as a start.

I have 2 dbxs (a 262 Project 1 and a 266XL, which I just got for 80 bucks). I like both of them, though the flashing lights on the XL are a bit much for my tastes.
  5. mattm0805

Oct 13, 2004
    thanks guys for your response. I am familiar with the DBX stuff, we use a couple of DBX units when we play live. DBX is great equipment. The only problem is I only have a half of a rack space available in my current rig, so thats why I'm looking for the 1/2 rack space stuff.
  6. Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    check out the presonus stuff. they got good half rack compressors relatively cheap.
  7. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    hmmm if you dont mind the simplicity of it, i use the dbx 163x, and it's grown on me over the last few months. half space.
  8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I use the Presonus Blue Max. Cheap, small, easy presets, and sounds great. You can dial it in manually if needed, but the presets work fine for me.
  9. Hmmm......

I wonder why nobody else has mentioned the Really Nice Compressor from FMR Audio?

It's a very transparent sounding 1/3 rack space unit that compares favorably with much more expensive models. I would have a hard time choosing anything else.
  10. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    It's been mentioned twice.
  11. I also use a Presonus Bluemax. It is simple, inexpensive, and sounds better than anything else that I've had the chance to try.
  12. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Stick with your original thought of using the RNC. You won't find anything that sounds better that's under $200. The 1/3 rack space is just icing on the cake.
  13. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I'm happy with my RNC :hyper:
  14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    too bad i just sold my dbx 262 (see my review of it in the TB gear reviews section)
    you can usually find one (they're discontinued) for under 100 bucks. great unit. i hated selling mine.