Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rack mount Compressors

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by robert betty, Apr 19, 2003.

1. Does anyone out there use a rack mounted compressor Just for their bass? The Sound system we have to use when we play at our gig has one 2 channel compressor and the sound man has all the vocals in channel one, and the bass Drum michrophone in channel two. I'd always heard that bass needed compression. I bought a DBX 266XL, but I know very little about compressors and I don't really see that it is doing all that much for me, except add a noticeable amount of white noise to my signal. What should I do. Lose the compressor, cause I dont need it? Learn how to hook it up right, what? Did I just waste 150 dollars.:eek:

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    No, I don't think you wasted your money - I like mild compression on bass.

I'm moving this thread over to "Effects", where you'll get a better response.

3. I myself, like little to mild compression on the bass, just to even out the dead spots on a neck, though i'm not sure on anyone else here, but we have alot of people that have an opinion on it, and they'll be more than happy to help you.

4. A compressor does add sustain, punch, and
    an extra gain stage or two.

5. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Try doing a search here to see what settings are common for compressors. For example, your ratio, etc.

6. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I knew someone would come through for the lad.

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I just tried Donne's setting for linking the 2 channels of a stereo compressor. It took a bit of tweaking to get rid of clicks as the comp engaged, but I really like what I ended up with!

8. whatever you end up with, seriously consider a unit that will allow for individual ratio+threshold settings for both the highs and the lows. Some of the best stompbox models offer this like the Digitech and Trace but very few rack jobbies do. I bought my Rane DC24 after a a rather extensive search. It has a X-over to split the bands. This is essential for bass IMO and the feature allows me to use the unit like I would an EQ. Tight top for taming snaps, tight bottom for reducing stage "boom." Lotsa flexibility but interestingly, no attack and release option which i actually prefer. Too many parameters are not always the best thing and I sure do not miss that option.

[​IMG]

9. Madsubwoofer,

Doesn't that have a "NASA / HOUSTON LAUNCH SHUTDOWN" button? ;)

10. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Tight bottom...fnar fnar....I'll get me coat...