Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rack-Mount effects processors

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ryan L., Dec 23, 2001.

1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I know this question has been asked before, and I have also done a search, and didn't come up with too much, so here goes again.

I am looking for an effects processor that is rackable. I need it to have chorus, overdrive/distortion, delay, flanger, etc. And to be suitable for live usage (not too tough to switch effects.)

I used to own an Art Nightbass, which I tried using as my only preamp. It didn't work well for me for that, but since now it would be used just for the effects and run through the effects loop of my SVT4Pro, I have thought about picking up another one of these off of Ebay (they are on there all the time).
    Does anyone else have any different/better suggestions?? Any and all help and info would be appreciated.

2. I'd say the Lexicon MPX-500 ( http://www.lexicon.com/MPX500/ ) is a real good candidate.

It's about $ 450 , which is a very fair price for a 24-bit, true-stereo processor with SPDIF capabilities.

i'm getting one for my birthday in July :D :D :D :D

3. The Lexicon is nice. Cool you're getting one, AdX!

My favourite (at this moment ;) ) is the Boss VF-1. It's a half rack width processor with a graphical display. Should be had for US$300.

Absolute effects heaven would be the TC Electronic FireworX.

4. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Thanks AllodoX, I will check into them. Looks like it does just about everything I would want it to do.

5. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Is there a rack kit available for the Boss unit?? Or would I need to stick it on a rack tray??

Any idea how much that FireworX thing goes for?? Isn't that one the upgraded G-Force??
    And where does the G-major fit into all this??

6. A rack tray is available. It doesn't have ear mouting holes, if that's what you're saying. I have my VF-1 mounted on a red tray together with another half space unit (Boss RPQ-10), which I use as a mic preamp/EQ

The FireworX is indeed the follow-up for the G-force.

: Wayne Campbell's voice on :

Oh, yes! She will be mine!

: Wayne Campbell's voice off :

Dunno what is sells for, but it's quite a bit more expensive than the VF-1 or the MPX-500. The G-minor is comparable to the MPX-500, I believe.

A Digitech Studio Quad or 400 is also an option to consider.

7. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Thanks. That gives me a few more options to check into. I am assuming that most of these offer higher quality effects than the Art Nightbass (there's gotta be a reason they stopped making them, right?). To me, the effects on the Nightbass were adequate (some sucked:( ), but nothing mind blowing.

8. With today's technology (24 bit/48 kHz being the standard), there's no such thing as a bad sounding rack effects processor. Things that descern one from another is editing ease and capabilities. Maybe quality of amp models, where applicable. The VF-1 has a bunch of guitar amp and 2 bass amp models, which to me sound good.

The Art Nightbass is now very outdated, and I guess redesigning it is too expensive right now.

9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey Joris,

Do you happen to know anything about the Peavey BassFex? I just happened to pick one up at a pretty inexpensive price but I've yet to try it as it's still in transit to me. I would be very intertested in any opinion that you or anyone else may have. Thanks.

10. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Just posting to get email when this thread is updated. Thanks.

11. idealtracks

idealtracks Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    I am also looking for a great rackmount multieffects processor (definitely under $1k) and have been researching it for a few weeks but feel like I'm still at square one....

It is important to me that there is no popping or muting of the notes when I switch effects... IMO this pretty much renders the box useless for live work - and I wouldn't be using it in the studio anyway when I could use the studio's high end gear for my effects.

I had the ART Nightbass w/footswitch many years ago but I finally got sick of all the noise it added to the signal! My guitarist had one too (whatever the guitar version was called) and his had the same noise issues. I would not recommend this unit to anyone who is bothered by heaping amounts of hiss. But for everything it does, I can't argue that it's not a great deal: I think I sold mine in 1996 for $325 w/ the big foot controller (x15?)- and from what I've seen they still sell used at around that same price.

12. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yes, the Nightbass is definitely a bit noisy. I am hoping to find something else that'll offer about the same effects without the noise.

13. mthoople

mthoople

Nov 1, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I have an MPX-500 in my studio, and it is a very good sounding unit for the price. However, it doesn't have overdrive/distortion effects, and isn't very flexible.

For about $600, a used MPX-G2 adds distortion/gain/preamp effects, a JamMan style looper, complete realtime control, and flexible routing. It does drop-out between patch changes (I've yet to try anything that doesn't), but you can set the Reverb to global so the reverb tails cover the change. Or set up multiple effects in the same patch: there is no dropout when turning effects on/off within a patch. Each patch also has an A/B function that can be used to change a bunch of settings at once.

One of the features I use the most is the Crossover effect. I use it to route the low-frequencies directly to the output, while applying chorus/phase/flange effects only to the high-frequencies.

Matt

14. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i git myself a digitech tsr12

plenty of effectedly goodness.

and for 85 bucks!:eek:

15. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

May 20, 2002
    Provided content for Genzler Amplification
    The Boss SE-50 has treated me pretty nicely. They can be had fairly cheaply on the used market. To control it, you would probably want to used a midi-foot controller such as a Digitech Control (X) or even a Midi Mouse.

16. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Here's my rackmount fx processor...:D

[​IMG]

Seriously, I looked at alot of fx units before I ended up just rackmounting my pedals. The G-Force is the best out there for a reasonable price. Sounds good and easy to program; no noise, no pops. Just watch your input and output levels.

The Fireworks is similar, but not necessarily a followup to the G-force. It's designed for much wierder fx.

17. Is that Triax OEM tweeked for bass ala' John Mung,
    or is it straight up stock?

18. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    That is one of maybe 10 bass Triaxis' in the entire world, my friend. Supposedly I'm the only guy who is not an "official" Boogie endorser who has one.

19. OMFG!

Lucky, lucky, lucky.

It must kick serious butt.

I went down to Petaluma in 2K and asked about a
    Bass Triaxis and they told me that they used
    to have 'em for special orders, but don't do
    it anymore.

Me want.

20. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Really? That's too bad. I was going to get another one and run them in stereo.:D