1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rack mount Overdrive?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zacl, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Ampeg SVP-BSP (Billy Sheehan's Pre-amp)

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. SWR Interstellar Overdrive

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  3. The Carrots option

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. Hey Everyone,

I'm one of those bassists who is never satisfied with my tone.

To get to the point, I'm looking for rack unit that will give me some overdrive.

I was just wondering what opinions people had on Billy Sheehan's pre-amp? Or the SWR Interstellar Overdrive?

Thanks.

Zakk

2. I was never satisfied with my tone,so I kept buying eqs,sound processors,overdrive pedals,tube emulators,to name a few..................then just last week I got a Mesa 400+,as soon as I plugged in I new I didn't need anything else,It just sounds so damn good.

Sorry..it's not the answer to your question,but the above quote just reminded me of me.:cool:

3. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    How about the Rocktron Gainiac?

4. or sansamp RBI ok it's mainly a DI but who cares

5. The ampeg SVP pro seems to be favored over the BSP.

6. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Here's what I think. Find an OLD Tube Works Blue Tube rack unit (not the stomp box kind). Pull the 12AX7 tube and put in a 12AU7. That's what I've been using for OD for several years now. Its nice and warm and doesn't kill the bottom. The old ones are a little hard to come by, check ebay. If you want tube recommendations, I'll be happy to provide that; I have tried every tube imaginable in it. Tube Works was bought out by Genz Benz and its my understanding that the newer ones are not as good.
    I also have the SVP-BSP. The clean channel is pretty nice but the OD channel sounds like $#@^. I don't use it much.

7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i second the real tube... i have a yellow one and it sounds sweet! i have more lowend then i had with any pedal it sounds thick fat and warm and it only cost me $65 on ebay. you can go from subtle to petty darn fuzzy with it. i am gonna try a 12au7 in it. check it out its my favorite purchase in quite awhile.

8. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    what about a bass pod pro ?

It has several overdrives and drivers ...

Get a million of tones with it ...

9. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I use the IOD and have gotten several compliments about my tone from non-musicians. They called it Jack Bruce-like, powerful, but warm-- cool, eh? I use it to run direct to the FOH system (2 15" with horns and 2 18" subs) and it just kills. One of my better purchases.

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Another vote for the Tech 21 SansAmp RBI.
    Lots of tonal versatility & no muss, no fuss SS circuitry.

11. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Aguilar DB 728, Ampeg SVT, Mesa Boogie 400+

12. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Sansamp PSA-1 - more distortion and overdrive sounds in there than you will ever need. 50 user presets midi controllable and quite simply the dogs knackers, chi-cheng from the deftones uses one with his SVT CL for distorted tones.

13. I own such a PSA-1 and also a SVT-3 Pro.

How should I hook it up? PSA-1 in the fxloop of the SVT-3? Anyone with user experience on these two amps combined?

14. I have to second the Pod pro as a distortion/bass effects device it is hard to beat. The only gripe I have with it is that it doesn't seem to have a really good clean tone. To date I think the pod has been in and out of my rack 6 times. Right now it's out and the F1-X is back in. Can't get away from that F1-X....:D

15. I tried using the RBI as a distortion for my amp, but its tone was way too different from my amp's tone for it to be useful. I also found that it didn't seem to cut through very well. I ended up with the Fulltone Bassdrive--it adds the overdrive but doesn't mess with how the bass sounds. Nowadays I don't have much use for an overdrive.

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I have heard from different bassists that the RBI sounds best as a preamp used together with power amp(s). Apparently, its circuitry doesn't complement some other heads' sound very well when used as a pre-preamp or in an effects loop.

17. DonovanBankhead

DonovanBankhead Banned Commercial User

Aug 25, 2001
    Springfield, MO
    Owner - FretSpot.com; Vice President - Springfield Music
    I'm an SWR dealer, and I have a new Interstellar Overdrive that I would sell at cost if anyone is interested.