Rack mount Overdrive?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zacl, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Ampeg SVP-BSP (Billy Sheehan's Pre-amp)

2 vote(s)
  2. SWR Interstellar Overdrive

8 vote(s)
  3. The Carrots option

3 vote(s)
  1. Hey Everyone,

I'm one of those bassists who is never satisfied with my tone.

To get to the point, I'm looking for rack unit that will give me some overdrive.

I was just wondering what opinions people had on Billy Sheehan's pre-amp? Or the SWR Interstellar Overdrive?

2. I was never satisfied with my tone,so I kept buying eqs,sound processors,overdrive pedals,tube emulators,to name a few..................then just last week I got a Mesa 400+,as soon as I plugged in I new I didn't need anything else,It just sounds so damn good.

Sorry..it's not the answer to your question,but the above quote just reminded me of me.:cool:
  3. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    How about the Rocktron Gainiac?
  4. or sansamp RBI ok it's mainly a DI but who cares
  5. The ampeg SVP pro seems to be favored over the BSP.
  6. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Here's what I think. Find an OLD Tube Works Blue Tube rack unit (not the stomp box kind). Pull the 12AX7 tube and put in a 12AU7. That's what I've been using for OD for several years now. Its nice and warm and doesn't kill the bottom. The old ones are a little hard to come by, check ebay. If you want tube recommendations, I'll be happy to provide that; I have tried every tube imaginable in it. Tube Works was bought out by Genz Benz and its my understanding that the newer ones are not as good.
    I also have the SVP-BSP. The clean channel is pretty nice but the OD channel sounds like $#@^. I don't use it much.
  7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i second the real tube... i have a yellow one and it sounds sweet! i have more lowend then i had with any pedal it sounds thick fat and warm and it only cost me $65 on ebay. you can go from subtle to petty darn fuzzy with it. i am gonna try a 12au7 in it. check it out its my favorite purchase in quite awhile.
  8. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    what about a bass pod pro ?

It has several overdrives and drivers ...

Get a million of tones with it ...
  9. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I use the IOD and have gotten several compliments about my tone from non-musicians. They called it Jack Bruce-like, powerful, but warm-- cool, eh? I use it to run direct to the FOH system (2 15" with horns and 2 18" subs) and it just kills. One of my better purchases.
  10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Another vote for the Tech 21 SansAmp RBI.
    Lots of tonal versatility & no muss, no fuss SS circuitry.
  11. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Aguilar DB 728, Ampeg SVT, Mesa Boogie 400+
  12. N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Sansamp PSA-1 - more distortion and overdrive sounds in there than you will ever need. 50 user presets midi controllable and quite simply the dogs knackers, chi-cheng from the deftones uses one with his SVT CL for distorted tones.
  13. I own such a PSA-1 and also a SVT-3 Pro.

How should I hook it up? PSA-1 in the fxloop of the SVT-3? Anyone with user experience on these two amps combined?
  14. I have to second the Pod pro as a distortion/bass effects device it is hard to beat. The only gripe I have with it is that it doesn't seem to have a really good clean tone. To date I think the pod has been in and out of my rack 6 times. Right now it's out and the F1-X is back in. Can't get away from that F1-X....:D
  15. I tried using the RBI as a distortion for my amp, but its tone was way too different from my amp's tone for it to be useful. I also found that it didn't seem to cut through very well. I ended up with the Fulltone Bassdrive--it adds the overdrive but doesn't mess with how the bass sounds. Nowadays I don't have much use for an overdrive.
  16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I have heard from different bassists that the RBI sounds best as a preamp used together with power amp(s). Apparently, its circuitry doesn't complement some other heads' sound very well when used as a pre-preamp or in an effects loop.
  17. DonovanBankhead

DonovanBankhead Banned Commercial User

Aug 25, 2001
    Springfield, MO
    Owner - FretSpot.com; Vice President - Springfield Music
    I'm an SWR dealer, and I have a new Interstellar Overdrive that I would sell at cost if anyone is interested.