1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rack mount preamp ideas

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wolfkeller, Oct 21, 2017.

1. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Im looking for some new leads for a different preamp. I chase a sound that has drive but not fuzz. IMO nearly everything I've heard that is called drive or distortion is really just fuzz to some degree. When I say drive, I mean something forceful, more a a breakup kind of thing. My idea of this would be Would? From AIC, Pantera (cowboys era). Hard hitting, NOT clean but not fuzzy/fizzy. I've used alot if pedals from darkglass to sansamps. I have uses the following rm preamps; tech 21 VTRM, RBI, ampeg SVP pro, Peavey max, swr intersteller overdrive. These are all good but still not what I'm looking for. The sansamp was best but it has that fizzy/ brittle top end. And IMO an RBI sounds different from a BDDI.

I'm aware of how Mike Starr got the Would? Tone (4 channels) so that cannot be replaced live.
    I'm looking for suggestions for a rack mount (possibly pedal) that might do this.samples or links would be very appreciated.

2. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Have you checked out the new Tech 21 Geddy pre?

3. OldFunBass

OldFunBass

Nov 5, 2016
    Florida
    Everyone has a tone/sound in their head that they are searching for. Only you can know when you find it. That said, if you get a chance to try the Two Notes Le Bass tube pre-amp, do it. I was searching for a tone and for now have found it with the Le Bass. Good Luck in your search!

Aqualung60, Pbassmanca and wolfkeller like this.
  4. OldFunBass

OldFunBass

Nov 5, 2016
    Florida
    Oops, sorry. I just realized you wanted a rack mount. AFAIK the Two Notes Le Bass does not come in a rack mount version, only as a pedal. Still might be worth a test run, though.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  5. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I haven't, I do believe the tech 21 stuff, which I like, is all basically the same. They ALL have that brittle, metallic top end.

BrentSimons likes this.
  6. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I'm not opposed to a pedal if need be. I've never heard of this.

7. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    You would have to put it on a rack-shelf, but I think the Mesa Subway Pre might be able to do what you want. It can get a good deal of drive without going into fizz-mode. I know exactly what you are describing that you don’t want. Or at least I imagine that I do.

I currently have the Tech 21 GED-2112, VT Bass, and have had the RPM and RBI. The Subway D-800+ is a very different animal sonically (I have the amp, not just the preamp).

Son of Wobble likes this.
  8. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Never thought of that as viable, generally I don't like messa but it's definitely worth looking into. Need that dirt, grind thing. Kinda like the GK growl!

9. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    Check out ADA MB-1

I have a couple of crude youtube videos that shows the different sort of sounds you can get. And it you can do a lot more than that since you can blend Tube and SS preamp at the same time.

10. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I think some of the newer designs have addressed that brittle, fizzy top end issue. The latest BDDI V2 has a much more usable presence control with a fairly linear taper (not so off /on). The VT Bass V2 pedal (not the DI version ) has a speaker sim defeat which adds a 6 dB/octave high frequency cut and for me eliminates all that brittle top end.

On many of the Tech 21 products for bass I think the treble control is set around 3.2 KHz. Between judicious use of that control, the drive, presence, and the blend I find a lot of room to get a variety of voicing's that are rich and full without a harsh or brittle edge...and I too hate that metallic sounding artifact you can coax out of Tech 21 gear at more extreme settings.

scuzzy and wolfkeller like this.
  11. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    IMO, the bddi is still the best of the bunch. I've toyed with the idea of the V2. From what I've listened to, the geddy doesn't really sound much different from the others. I usually have the presence of btw. I do go for quite a bit of drive and will try and smooth it out with blend.

Al Kraft likes this.
  12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Suggestion:

Borrow the plan from the subtractive synthesis world. Start with a rich signal, and then carve out anything you don’t want with a sophisticated series of filters.

Find a preamp that gets you most of the way there - and then run its signal through a parametric equalizer and (if needed) a HPF/LPF to dial in exactly the sound you want to hear.

JJR58, Al Kraft, mexicanyella and 2 others like this.
  13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Don’t know if this would be helpful…but I’ve been checking out pedals from a company called Lounsberry. They do a bass specific OD called the Rupert which I’m probably going to be ordering. But more intriguing are some of their other pedals originally designed for use with keyboards. The Organ Grinder handles a full frequency range to work with a Hammond so that’s another possibility for use with bass.

I’m not a big OD type player. Mostly I use a Fifth Gear on a very light setting on those occasions when I want a little more girth than a given bass/amp combination is capable of providing. But the Rupert definitely had that prog sort of “Ric having a bad day” edge thing going for it. Which is something I haven’t heard in a long time. So I’m probably going to pull the trigger on getting one eventually.

wolfkeller likes this.
  14. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    Ampeg SVP-PRO, which the preamp section of the SVT-2PRO, which is the amp that Mike Starr used. Its got tube overdrive and I don't think it's possible to get fizzy high end out of it.

wolfkeller likes this.
  15. May be worth a go with the PSA 1.

Aside from that, clean preamp and dirt box to taste may be appropriate.

16. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I have one I'm selling, not what I'm looking for. Mike Starr actually used an svt 2 non pro, alot different. Had one, awesome but couldn't turn it up enough to get the sound in small venues.

17. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    You are right though, nice top end on it.

18. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I've thought about the psa, never had a chance to demo 1

JJR58 likes this.
  19. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    Oh yeah, that's right. In this case the SVP Pro might work well for OP, the drive fits his criteria pretty closely.

20. SactoBass

SactoBass I like all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    Wolfkeller: another option for your consideration is an Arkham Zephyr. It's a hand-made, high voltage, single-space rackmount tube preamp that is, IMO, awesome! (I own one.) Micah at Arkham Sound makes them. Here's an excellent two-part review that TB'er kringle77 did:

And just for the record, I have no affiliation with Micah at Arkham Sound. I'm just a happy customer! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017