Rack Mount problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Slaine01, Oct 16, 2003.

1. I have an Eden World Tour 800 which overheats in it's rackmount. This is because of where it's "breathing" holes are, on the side of the amp etc. The fan is fine so I need to find a rack that has breathing holes on the top/side. Are there any companys out there that make these?
  2. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Many of the "shockmount" designs have extra space and additional protection.
  3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    AFAIK there aren't any racks out there with vent holes built in, but there's no reason you couldn't drill some holes in your rackcase without affecting its strength significantly. Alternatively you could wire one of those little computer fans in to increase the air movement around the case.

4. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    I agree! you can purchase vent panels to fill whatever hole you make. Get the vent panel before you make the hole. Ask the company what they suggest, obviously they made it to be racked so maybe they have a trick....
  5. I submit to you there is a problem with your amp. I've used a WT800 in a rack for many years. Mine developed an over heating problem. Had it checked out. Bad resistor. Quick fix. Never had a problem again.

Get it to a qualified tech and have it checked out.
  6. Werd .... my 800 lives in a rack and has never had an overheating problem.
  7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    are you running below the minimum impedance?
    how hard are you running it? gain, EQ, master settings? maybe you need more headroom... ;)
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My WT-800 is in a rack, and it doesn't overheat. I have one open space above the unit, with a perforated spacer in the front of the rack that seems to provide enough air flow for cooling. The picture below is my rack with my WT-300 in it, before it was replaced with the WT-800. Just imagine that the WT-300 reached puberty.

9. I am running through one side of the amp (not bridged)which is 4 ohm into a 4 ohm 4x10 eden box with the master on full and (usually) gain at about 11:00 t0 1:00 oclock.
    I did take it out of the rack mount the other day and ran it hard for 2 hours with a dummy load on it and it was fine but it failed after putting it back in the rack after 20 minutes.
    My setup is exactly the same as the picture posted by Munjibungers including the front vent sleeve and the Korg Tuner.
  10. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    you're actually running it too hard... you are going to need more headroom. try another 4 ohm cab on the other side or go to an 8 ohm cab so you can bridge the power amp. ;)
  11. Does anyone else run there Master at full like I do? - Is this a good option as it appears to negate the Compressor setting
  12. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    you can run it at full, it's the amount of gain that you are running in conjunction with running the master on full that is causing the problem. i think that you need more headroom. 400 watts isn't a heck of a lot for a rather loud setting... ;)
  13. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Would Slaine's balance control setting have any effect on the amps performance? Does the balance control have to be turned fully toward the channel being used, or can it be left in the zero position?
  14. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I have been known to do this for extra headroom when needed but it makes adjusting your volume from the input gain a very toucy process.

I had the same overheating problem with my old labsystems and solved it by drilling vent holes in the side of the SKB rack. Be carefull where you drill though.

Also, if you can't find a commercially available offering that solves your problem, do what I did and make a rack case that has a fan on each side. Click HERE for a pic.