1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rack mount question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CaptainHueso, Jan 26, 2005.

  1. Hey guys. I'm really new to rack mounting equipment, and I'm in the market for getting a rack case with at least 4 spaces. I'll need it to hold my GBE 600, a Sansamp RBI, some sort of tuner, and possibly other things. I cant for the life of me find out where to purchase a rack case or how to know what size I'll need. Everybody seems to have a rack setup yet I cant find one for myself. Also any advice on what kind of tuner to get would be appreciated, and what exactly is the function of a power conditioner? I see alot of those but dont exactly know what they do or if they are essential. Thanks guys.
  2. Happy MurphDay

    Happy MurphDay

    Mar 9, 2004
    You can get a rack case easily, SKB cases are great, check those out. Id look for a 4 or 6 rack space case.

    Get a power conditioner, because some high end furman power conditioners because it regulates the power if there is a surge or something,
    Power conditioners are basically a rackmout power strip. its easy at a gig to plug the one wire out of the case instead of plugging the 2-5 wires coming out of the back.
    also some come with voltage meters, and pull out lights.

    also, Korg rackmount tuners are very accurate, and reliable, plus on the back of the GBE600 is a tuner out 1/4" which can plug into the tuner so there will be no frontal wires showing
  3. Edwcdc

    Edwcdc I call shotgun!

    Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    If you are planning on getting a power conditioner, a tuner, and want to put your amp and RBI in there, you might want at least a 6 space. Most power amps take up 2 spaces. A tuner takes up 1 space. The Sansamp takes up 1 space, and a power conditioner will take up 1 space. That's 5 spaces and you have room for a wireless. :D

    I'm using an 8 space which used to be filled completely but I got rid of a bunch of stuff. I just have my SWR750 which is 3 spaces, my power conditioner, and my wireless. I need to show my wife the empty spaces so she will understand why I need more gear. :)
  4. ErnieD


    Nov 25, 2004
    I tried to stick my GB600 into my 4 space SKB case, the molded plastic type, but the amp did not fit into that case so I got a 8 space metal flight case which now holds my GB 600, BBE maximizer and furman pwr condw/pul out lites. And there is ample room behind these items so that all the cables and chords fit nicely inside with tie-strips. My backup amp, GK1001, fits in the 4 spacer OK. Wish that furman had alot longer power cord, stacked on 2 cabs, often still have to use a seprate power strip to reach the nite club wall plugs, kinda defeats the whole power cond., single cord purpose for me. Oh and I have a Sabine tuner, not rack type, about 4"x4" square in size. I stuck velcro beneath it and on top of the flight and skb cases so it stays in place and I can run a line thru the tuner-out in front of either amp, works for me.
  5. 6 space seems like a good size for what you're planning on putting in there. As for the where, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to find one in a local music store.
  6. Try to find a Furman PL-Tuner and you can kill those two birds with one rack space. That’s what I did (see my profile) – I just couldn’t see “burning” a full rack space for a tuner, considering that most of them are so small they’ll fit in your guitar case. I don’t know how the Furman’s tuner compares to the Korg, but it’s better than the Boss TU-12 that I also have.

    That’s the only downside to the Furman – no rear input for the tuner. However, I ordered an isolated jack from Furman and installed a rear input myself.

    What nicoli said. Be sure and take into account not only the number of spaces you need, but the equipment depth, too. Connections need to be accounted for there as well.

    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
  7. tommytoughnuts


    Jan 26, 2005
    sbk rack cases are great but i like the carvin road warriors better. u probably want a 6-8 space. i've learned that more is better w/ cases. If you have open spaces that's good because more air can get to your stuff from more angles. DEFINITELY get a power conditioner. All it is is a big outlet strip with rackmount flanges on it. Furmans are def the best but i also like carvin. The higher end ones have voltage display and lamps to light the rack so you can see what the hell you are doing. they also protect against surges raping your whole rack.
  8. protoz


    Nov 30, 2000
    +1 for the Furman Power conditioner.

    Whever I gig my lead guitarist always plugs into my rack just for safety's sake.

    You can look on http://www.musiciansfriend.com for some rack equipment. I have an SKB US series 4U case that is awesome.