1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rack Mount tuner and power conditioner for Ampeg SVT4pro

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by Lauragoddess7, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Hello everyone, so I don’t have any experience in the rackmount department until recently. Up until now I’ve only played through the Ampeg svt-cL and now not that long ago I got the Ampeg SVT4PRO. I am playing it through the Ampeg SVT18 AND SVT212 and am looking for a rackmount tuner and power conditioner. Truth is I don’t know what I’m looking for in this. So what should I get and what should I look out for? Price is not really an option. But I’d prefer just to get the two.. I see a lot of people with preamps but I don’t see the need for that as I am totally pleased with my SVT4PRO.

2. Last Rebel

Last Rebel Lone Wolf - No Club Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Ontario Canada
    Old korg dtr2
    Want One ?
    I have.. Pm me:bassist:

r

3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    The consensus around here seems to be that power conditioners don't do much good and can even be detrimental for more powerful amps. Unless you have multiple pieces of rack gear and want the convenience of an outlet strip, you can save yourself the extra expense and weight and do without.

hbarcat and JimmyM like this.
  4. Ditch the "power conditioner", which more often than not is just a powerstrip in a fancy box, and get a decent surge protector in stead. While you're at it, ditch the rack mount tuner for a pedal

5. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    there's really one rackmount tuner on the market now: Korg Pitchblack Pro.

it's plastic, light, cheap. it also has a buffered bypass than sometimes gets bad over time and not everyone likes how it sounds (if you use a separate 'tuner out' on your head that's not an issue).

until recently Peterson made a StroboRack that was expensive and that's only thing I know about it.

6. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Used Sabine rackmount tuners are super cheap, work well on bass, and 1 rack space.
    No power conditioner on that amp.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i'd warn you against sticking that 4Pro in a rack with other stuff because it would all just become too big and heavy to drag around, but i guess you're used to that :)

these days even the 4Pro is a massive overweight dinosaur, you can get a bass head the size and weight of a hardback book that's every bit as powerful.

8. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I have the SVT4 pro in a rack case in my home studio along with an older Sabine 1U rack tuner.

I won't use a rackmount power conditioner. As others have said, there are more negatives than positives to using them in this type of application.

I believe just about everyone who wants a new rackmount tuner buys the Korg unit for $99.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    Jim C likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021