Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rack Mountable Multi Effects Processor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by timidbassist, Feb 2, 2005.

1. What is there out there to choose from? Which ones are best and what would you guys suggest for someone playing mainly Alter Bridge/Crossfade/Creed style music?
    Thanks in advance,
    Dave

2. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I've had real good results from my Boss VF-1. Like all multi's, it takes a bit of tweaking to get the settings the way you want them, and yes it can be frustrating, but it's pretty intuitive once you learn the basics of programming it.

3. Depending on your budget, you really have a lot of options. On the low end, there's used, and you could go with the VF-1 that Tritone suggested, there's also the older SE-70 and SE-50 by Boss/Roland. Zoom made a 1/2 rack multieffect called the 9050. Alesis is still making the Midiverb4, which is a really great sounding, easy to use unit. The only issue with this is the variety of effects. It excels at Reverbs, hence the name, but there isn't the cornucopia of bizarre effects like the Boss units have.

For low-end New stuff, Behringer makes some multieffect units, and their Vamp line has both amp/cab modeling and effects...but it's Behringer.

Then you get to midrange gear, like the Rocktron Xpression, Intellifex, Replifex, etc. There T.C. Electronics stuff, which I hear is pretty decent, but can be fragile. Lexicon makes some nice things, but you're spending some real cash for a great all-around unit.

High end includes the upper-echelon TC Electronics G-Force, Eventide Eclipse, Line 6 Bass PODxt, among others.

I suggest going to Harmony Centrals Effects Manufacturer's page and just surf through all of them.

For the style of music you're looking to play, I'm thinking Compression, Reverb, Chorus, and Delay are probably the only effects you'll use repeatedly, and most every multieffect has these.

4. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Boss have just released the new GTpro, a rack mounted, updated version of the GT6 (along with the new GT8 floor fx). I'm kinda hoping a bass version will follow shortly as the GT6B did after the GT6.

If they do, I hope that it fix the 2 main gripes I have with my GT6B. Firstly, I'm fed up with sitting on the floor to edit it which the rack would sove (the GT-pro also has a software editor). Secondly, they will listen to reason, and read user reviews and put an fx loop in it. the GT6 had one, why not the GT6B?

5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
  6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Don't forget about a used ART Nightbass SE unit. Just make sure it has the last chipset v1.04. You can pick them up for $100-$200 in really nice condition. There is a Windows editor available for download.

You will here alot of reviews saying they are noisy and that it kills your tone but I haven't ever had these problems. For the bucks, the features, the verstility, I don't think there is a better unit IMO.

Here are some sound samples:Nightbass

7. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    lexicons