Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rack mounting a Ashdown ABM combo amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fender58, Mar 25, 2003.

1. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    I have a Ashdown ABM-C210H-500 combo. I would like to take the head out and put it into a more easily movable "rack". It would also allow me to use it with a wider variety of cabinets that I have. The amp is wider than any "racks" I have been able to find. It is 22.5" wide, 10.5" deep and 3.5" in height. Does anybody out there have a idea what I could find on the markets? I suppose I should fashion some sort of a cover for it as well to keep a bit of the airborne dust etc. from entering although I'm not sure this would be a necessity. Thanks for any and all input.

Also I wonder, what is the standard rack space height dimension is?

Thanks again to all, Danny

2. I think racks are usually 19" across. I'm guessing that the chassis of the amp in your combo is the same as the one on the ABM500 head, though, so maybe you could find out from Ashdown if that casing is available. It would probably just bolt right in.

3. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    The standard rack size is 19in. i dont think you would be able to find one any diff.

you could always make your own, just buy all the hardware, some wood, and some carpet, etc.

4. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    I just got this reply that I cut and pasted below. I have also asked Ashdown or rather HHB. I really wanted to know if there was a standard rack height as well. Thanks to you guys. I really could just build one?

Dear D Teaze,

Thank you for your recent inquiry for Grundorf cases. This amp is not a standard "rack width" and
    on the website does not appear to be "rack-mountable". However, we can build a case that fits
    this unit - it would not be "rack-mounted" into the case. We can make it with or with front and
    rear covers. If you are interested in this let me know and I will work up a retail price for you.

Best regards,

Deb S
    Sales

5. I'm sure HHB could hook you up, since the casing for an ABM500 head is a standard item. If you do end up building one, it looks like you're in southern CA. I'm also here, and I have both the ABM300 and ABM900 heads, if you needed to take a look at em.

6. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    BUILD YOU OWN!!!

I did almost the same deal... Real simple like, and it looks great - birds eye maple...

Alex

:bassist:

ps. just make sure to tape off the speaker conectors... are you get a hum...

7. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That comboamp is wider than the ABM 300 and 500 heads but it should fit in the ABM900 heads case.
    Ask for one of those.

8. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Well I went and did it myself. I VERY carefully cut the top of the cab. off and got a very nice piece of finished plywood (had it leftover from some kitchen cabinets) and used it to fill in under the head. Instead of re tolexing I stained it with a dark ebony stain. I did the same on top of the 210 cab. All with radius cut (rounded) edges of course. Now I just need some cabinet corners to finish it off, or do I ?

Danny

9. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    I've never added pic's before to a post so here goes...

10. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    ...and this one...

11. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Thanks, I'm happy with the way it turned out. I can post some more pictures I have here if you want. I will try to remember to take some more of the inside when I put in my new preamp tube that is coming soon. Send me a e mail to remind me Smash.

The foil inside mine was never in the way.
    I had to take it to a wood shop to have the radius cut (rounded edges,beveled?- done with a hand router) because I don't own a router. I actually didn't think of doing the top of the 210 cab. until too late but it's just as simple. I may even rent my own router tool. I did the cuts with a jigsaw and a flush cutting wood blade with 10 teeth per inch. which is a fairly fine one ,I think. I just went really slow and it's 85% flush. There is one edge that a little bit raised, but once the top piece is screwed and glued it will be forgotten. The hardest part was marking the lines to cut on. I did it with a T square and a long steel straight edge and marked it with a white pencil. Then I taped it off so as to not damage the surrounding tolex. It's easier for me to do this to my own gear. If I were to do it to someone else...gulp...
    I was originaly going to re-tolex but I think for me it's fine the way it turned out and sure is easier to carry around. If I think of more I'll post it.

12. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    ...and one of the back.

13. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    I wish I had taken a picture when it was apart and I will when I replace that tube that should be here M or Tu.
    On mine the foil was only on the top and the sides there was no foil under the amp. In fact the tolex under the amp only went in about two to three inches then it was just wood. this was just enough so you could'nt see it was unfinished under the amp, which is fine. Ashdown did seem to have treated even that so it wasn't just bare wood. They are nicely built! Have you ever pulled your amp out and looked at how nice the wiring and soldering is? Take a look if you hav'nt because it is really well done.

14. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    http://www.guitar-parts.com/ is where I found it. I think one of the black ones would match OK. I guess it dependes how good you want it. I go for sturdy over fine details. It's pretty cheap and I thought I saw a adhesive for it but never could find it again. I would think Spray 77 would work which is a spray on glue. I think that putting it on flat sufaces would be easy but the corners might be tricky with out practice. Then of course the metal corners would cover that up. The corners were available at the above site I belive to. Ernie Ball had them and removable castors FYI. ( I had a hard time finding those) The corners I found were all chrome but I wonder if they could be spray painted? I think that the standard Fender corners fit. I pulled one off a Squier amp to check.

15. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Here is a photo of the inside of my new/old ABM500 Ashdown head that used to be a combo...I think the staining route is certainly easier than re-tolexing and I've convinced myself just as good looking as well.

PS How does one get a picture to just show up in the in a post? Thanks anybody.