1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rack Mounting a Fusion 550

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brentalight, Oct 3, 2009.

1. brentalight

brentalight

Nov 12, 2008
    I decided to rack mount my GK Fusion 550 and got a great deal on a 6 space case. The head is a 3 space unit and the owners manual calls for 1.75" or one ru above and below the head. Is that just being overly cautious or a common practice? I have never rack mounted a head before but bass rigs I have seen use every available space for power conditioners, compressors and tuners...

I don't know that I will include each of those things in my rig but it would be nice to have the option with my 6 space unit instead of having to buy a larger one.

2. brentalight

brentalight

Nov 12, 2008
    bump

3. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    I have my Fusion 550 in a 3-space rack. The amp does get warm, but it seems like most of the heat emanates from the front and rear of the amp. I think you would be safe putting other gear in your rack without any problems.

4. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I don't have/use the amp in question, but the rack space requirement is definitely related to the ventilation needs of the amp.

I'd suggest that if you are not going to follow GK's guidelines for racking it, you should plan on adding a fan to the rack to make sure you don't fry your new amp.

good luck