1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rack Mounting Hardware

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Sep 29, 2010.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Suspended

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Okay, just purchased a 2-space rack case used which didn't come with any mounting hardware. I have extra clips/screws but the clips don't fit the rack rails. What do you guys use to mount your amps, tuners, etc. to the rails in lieu of rack clips? I'm thinking of gluing a nut to the back of the rail and then mounting with a machine screw.

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I've only seen two types of rack rails: threaded for direct screw-in, or with rectangular holes for clip-in nuts. I've used three brands of the rectangular-hole kind, and the SKB clips fit all three. Are you sure yours isn't pre-threaded?

3. Hi.

Stamped steel rail nuts (obviously) have a tighter securing gap in the lips than those intended to be used in extruded rails. Both are somewhat interchangeable, but won't work well in the long run.

Gluing a nut into the rack will spell disaster sooner or later, but if You try, buy a 20" or so T-handle socket wrench for the nut beforehand ;).

You do have rectangular holes in the rails, right?

If they're not, they're either pre-threaded like Bongomania suggested, or if there's no thread, the proper "nut" is a stamped steel fastener that is a thin strip of steel folded in half, usually with punched "threads" rather than a welded nut. The kind that the car interior panels and fenders was mounted back in the day.

A pic would help, or the brand and model of the rack.

Regards
    Sam

4. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Suspended

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I'm an idiot.

After you guys mentioned rectangular vs. round holes I took one of the rails off and looked at it closer. It's round shaped and indeed has threading in it. I guess I assumed that because the screws I had that came with the clips didn't fit that it wasn't threaded.

So would these screws work then? http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HPS/
    Assuming that these are all standard size/pitch? The brand of the rack is TOV and model is 2T-R.

5. Those will work, unless you got a foreign, metric rack.

Any decent hardware store will have 10-32 screws. Perhaps not the plastic washers, that some folks like on their rack gear, but the screws for sure.

6. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    IIRC 10-32 IS the standard for rack rails . . . :cool: . . . and that's what those Middle Atlantic rackscrews are . . .

good luck . . .

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021