Rack Mounting Problems- Component Deformation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BrandonS, Feb 15, 2001.

1. BrandonS

Nov 15, 2000
    For those of you who have your gear rack-mounted, have any of you noticed any bending or deformation to your components.

I just go a skb case and I mounted my Pre-amp and Furman and was a little concerned by the fact that the faceplate screws support the weight of the whole component. More importantly, the back end is unsupported, creating a moment at the screws and therefore possibly causing bending.

I am probably being paranoid about this because I see thousands of people mounting their gear in cases. I haven't heard any bad press about only mounting with the faceplate.

Any Comments or advice are appreciated

2. I've never had a problem with my stuff. I believe the faceplates of most rack mount gear is pretty strong 16 gauge steel.

I used to have an SKB case with rear rails and I used blank rack panels and bolts to help support my amps from the rear.

Feb 12, 2001
    Dude, don't sweat it, i was paranoid about this same thing
    i would think !christ i just spent all this money on rack stuff, what if they bend? or what if they get hot touching eachother, but thats just it
    if you put your deepest peice of gear at the bottom and then then the second deepest on top *ie a power amp on bottom then your pre then your fx processors* its cool because they all rest on eachother, so there is no real weight being put on the face plate, at least thats the way it is on my rack case *my rack case was custombuilt by www.guitarclinic.com*

your mileage may very

4. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I've got a Peavey T-Max amp racked in a four-space SKB case, along with a Furman power conditioner. I had the same concern as you, but they've been in there for over a year, and so far no problems. Fingers crossed.
  5. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Really, its not a problem. Just make sure your stuff is properly screwed in and then go for it. I've been hauling around a 6 space skb for several years and its worked great. I just traded up for an 8 space and i'm sure that will be fine too. My guitar player has been using an 8 space for, well, forever.
  6. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I have been rack mounting for 10 years, no worries.

7. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    If you can get your hands on some of that really dense foam they pack computers in,you can cut off acouple of pieces of it about an inch or so thicker than the space under the component to be racked and slide it under there before you mount the component.Just be sure it doesn't cover any ventilation openings on the gear.This also provides a small amount of shock/vibration isolation if it's an amp head for example and you put it on your cabs while playing loud.