1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rack mounting questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by claytitan, Apr 22, 2009.

1. claytitan

claytitan

Mar 12, 2008
    Tennessee
    I have the GK 1001RB-II. I want to get an amp bag to protect it since I gig once or twice a month. GK has a bag for it but I am wondering if one of the rack bags would be better. I have never ‘rack mounted’ anything in my life. Any thing I need to be aware of? How many slots do I need? What other items might I want to rack mount at some point? Tuner? Power conditioner (do I need one)? Preamp? I don’t use any effects and I don’t see a real need for them for me if that helps.

Thanks all!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are a variety of things to put in a rack, and it's tempting to get a bigger rack and put a bunch of neat stuff in it, but it often ends up being a 90 lb. headache. My advice is not to buy any rack gear until/unless you already know you need it, and not to buy a bigger rack just on the premise that you may want other stuff to carry.

Racks are pretty cheap in the long view, so I'd get just the 2-space one for your GK, or maybe a 3-space "just in case", and hold off on getting anything else until you have a clearer idea about the gear that would be most useful to you.

Power conditioners are usually not as helpful as their advertisements would lead you to believe. :)

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to that. Just a simple, (and protective) 2 space rack is all you need.

4. claytitan

claytitan

Mar 12, 2008
    Tennessee
    Do I need to worry about the fan (it is on top of the amp)?

5. If you are really worried you could get a 3U case and put the amp in the middle, leaving 1/2 unit top and bottom.

+1 on not getting anything bigger.

If you want to add anything more, you can just buy another rack :bag: