1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rack mounting

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eottjake, Apr 9, 2010.

1. eottjake

eottjake

Jan 30, 2009
    Fairborn, Ohio
    I was wondering if anyone has heard/tried rackmounting an Eden E300T?
    I know it would take some modifications. My biggest worry is the tubes hanging down. I could easily fix that by flipping it upside down...but that would look weird.
    Then again...rack mounting that amp is weird in itself.

2. Hey Jake,

I haven't taken the time to compare the two sets of dimensions, but it might be worth checking the chassis dimensions of the discontinued Eden VT-300 against the chassis of your 300T. My VT-300, which is in a custom wood/tolex case, is 2-3" narrower than a 19"-wide rack case. I have an Eden-labelled metal rack frame into which I can place the VT-300 and mount the frame, with the chassis, into a 3-space or larger rack. I don't know whether your hanging tubes will interfere prohibitively or not, but it might be worth a look to determine if your 300T chassis could be mounted in the VT-300 rack frame with little or no modification..

If you get lucky with the dimensions, there is no sense re-inventing the wheel.

3. eottjake

eottjake

Jan 30, 2009
    Fairborn, Ohio
    VT--19"x7"x11.5"
    E--.....who knows. The eden site says TBA and I need to go measure for myself...

4. That may be the dimension (19" wide) of the VT-300 in its metal rack frame, but the front of my VT-300 chassis is less than 17 " wide. I just measured it.

Yup. You do.

I can send you pictures of the metal rack frame if it would help.

5. Hi.

It'd look no weirder upside-down than the originals do ;).

Since the Smarvo chassis is a good bit wider than 19" (~18" actually), all You have to do is to find a 2U or preferably 3U 19" rack box, punch/cut/drill the front for the holes for the potentiometers, push buttons and jack, the underside for the pre amp tubes, the top for the power tubes (Power PCB is narrower than 17" IIRC) and the back for the output, DI etc. Then You relocate the transformers, and make a some sort of cage around the tubes.

If You find a deep enough box, You can mount the power section tubes-down as well. It'll be all right as long as You change the bear claws (IDIOTS) to top-retainers. In any case, You'll probably have stuff poking out from both sides of the 3U box.

Is it easy?

Yes.

Would it be worth it?

No (if You ask me).

Regards
    Sam

6. eottjake

eottjake

Jan 30, 2009
    Fairborn, Ohio
    Ha that sounds like a little too much....and ya the bear claws are ridiculous. I had a power tube drop out because it was rattled by the street...dumb!