Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rack or pedal compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by violatedppl, Jul 18, 2005.

1. I know this issue has been threaded to death but, I am looking at getting a good compressor to even out my tone. I would like to get something that is not going to break the bank and still sound good when not on. And I am not sure if I should look into getting a rack unit or a pedal in that my board it pretty full and I dont want to have to make a bigger one :meh: . so now I am here looking for advice.

ps I play mainly hard rock through a peavey tmax and 1810, with a fender MIM jazz and ibanez srx505 if it makes a difference.

2. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    If you're not going to click in and click out of the compressor, get a rack mount. If you're only going to use the compressor for certain tunes, get a stomp box.

3. Cerpin Taxt

Cerpin Taxt

Jun 12, 2005
    I use a DBX 266XL rack compressor, which cost me a mere 100 bucks and sounds fairly good. If you're strapped for cash, it's a a pretty good buy.

4. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I always suggest the Aphex Punch Factor. At $139.00 it's a great deal and a great compressor.

5. I just got mine. It's my first compressor(besides the one in the basspod pro) and I like it a lot. Very easy to use and it sounds great.

6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    One advantage of having it 'on the floor' is that other pedals that are AFTER it get to benefit from the compression. For example: I think that the Boss ODB-3 distortion can be made to sound very nice WITH compression before it; without, the tone is a little un-controlable.

I use a Boss CS-3 compressor full-time - first thing in the line. When I get an envelope follower, then that will go first, and the compressor second - else the compressor would suck-out too much of the dynamics that the 'follower would need. Plus it would take care of the common E.F. problem of un-even volume.

Joe