rack or pedal compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by violatedppl, Jul 18, 2005.

1. I know this issue has been threaded to death but, I am looking at getting a good compressor to even out my tone. I would like to get something that is not going to break the bank and still sound good when not on. And I am not sure if I should look into getting a rack unit or a pedal in that my board it pretty full and I dont want to have to make a bigger one :meh: . so now I am here looking for advice.

ps I play mainly hard rock through a peavey tmax and 1810, with a fender MIM jazz and ibanez srx505 if it makes a difference.
  2. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    If you're not going to click in and click out of the compressor, get a rack mount. If you're only going to use the compressor for certain tunes, get a stomp box.
  3. Cerpin Taxt

Cerpin Taxt

Jun 12, 2005
    I use a DBX 266XL rack compressor, which cost me a mere 100 bucks and sounds fairly good. If you're strapped for cash, it's a a pretty good buy.
  4. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I always suggest the Aphex Punch Factor. At $139.00 it's a great deal and a great compressor.
  5. I just got mine. It's my first compressor(besides the one in the basspod pro) and I like it a lot. Very easy to use and it sounds great.
  6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    One advantage of having it 'on the floor' is that other pedals that are AFTER it get to benefit from the compression. For example: I think that the Boss ODB-3 distortion can be made to sound very nice WITH compression before it; without, the tone is a little un-controlable.

I use a Boss CS-3 compressor full-time - first thing in the line. When I get an envelope follower, then that will go first, and the compressor second - else the compressor would suck-out too much of the dynamics that the 'follower would need. Plus it would take care of the common E.F. problem of un-even volume.