Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rack patch?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by soundoholic, Jan 21, 2004.

1. I'm starting to get a good rig together and am thinking of putting a patch(with power input and speaker and di output) in the front of my rack so I don't ever have to take the back off. This will also allow me to push it against walls. I was also planning on putting a fan in to cool down the whole rig.

Does anybody here do this? Any suggestions? I got this idea from a sound man. He built a bass rig like this and it was awesome. It looked much easier to set up and take down.

2. Definitely sounds interesting. One thing I could think of off hand is that you might be screwing up the ventilation of the amp by doing something like this. I guess it really depends on the amp you're going to be using. Mine (DPC 1400X) draws in air from the rear and blows it out the front as do a lot of comercial power amps. If the one you're using is like this I would suggest against leaving the back on. If it's front to back you might (I emphasize the MIGHT) be all right. Still, it's an interesting idea none the less.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Interesting idea, but is it really THAT much hassle to pop off the back rack cover? You only really need about an inch from the wall, is that much room difference THAT important to you?

I'd have two concerns: first, as mentioned above is proper ventilation. You'd need some way of having the fan vent THROUGH the rack, perhaps blowing IN the bottom of the front of the rack then OUT the top of the front of the rack. Would probably be alright.

Second concern is the way it would look. I like my tangle of cords in the back for a reason, so nobody has to look at them. Front of rack is clean and smooth, no wires, no fans, no speaker cables, etc.

To each his own.