1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rack power management

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KingRazor, Nov 1, 2010.

1. So far there are two components I plan on purchasing for my rig. A Behringer V-AMP and a Parmetric EQ.

I don't think I need a power amplfier, unless the EQ needs one, it appears the V-AMP is powered.

So I'm wondering what I should do regarding power management. I know most racks have some clean power noise suppression outlets to plug all the components into, but who makes these and which ones are generally considered good?

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I think most racks use a power strip. Maybe a rack-mount one.

3. That's what I was thinking, just not sure what kind of brands most people use and which ones I should look out for.

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    They're something of a commodity item, so I think you would do well to just look for decent ones at decent prices and not specific brands. What brands do you have available?

5. I have the internet. Thus, pretty much any brand. That's why I'm asking, I want some suggestions to look into.

Edit: Looking around on Musician's Friend, this looks promising: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Furman-M8x2-Power-Conditioner?sku=712515

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    If you can get any brand, then just look for something decent for a decent price. If you want a rack mount one, you should be able to find something good for $30–$40 or less. It's really not something to agonize over.

7. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    http://www.hammondmfg.com/pb98.htm

Cheers,
    Cameron

8. lol I'm sorry but you seemed to be missing the point of the original post, not a problem because I found what I was looking for. The answer I was looking for was "Just look on Musician's Friend or any other music shop site and search for power conditioners". Which I did. Thanks anyway;)

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    That would be the answer if your question included "and I want to pay more than necessary." ;)

Why do you think you need a power conditioner?

10. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Furman power conditioners are the most commonly used units. However, these are basically over-priced surge protectors in a convenient rack-mountable chassis.

Likewise, Gator makes some rack cases with a power conditioner built into the case.

Personally, I've been using a $40 unit made by Tripp-Lite that I mount on the rear rails of my rack. 2 outlets on the front side (as shown - great for plugging in a pedalboard, etc.) and 6 outlets on the back side.
    [​IMG]

11. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    +1

12. The one I found was $40...which is the price you suggested in an earlier post...overpriced?

I want something rack mountable that I know will work and work well and the Furman looks like it will do what I want. I'll also look into a rack that has a built in conditioner though, thanks for that bit Eric ;)

13. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Just be aware that the Furman units aren't anything special. The term "power conditioner" is more marketing that anything else. They don't provide anything that you can't get from a $10-15 surge protector power strip. I agree that the rack-mount chassis makes it convenient for a rack rig, but that's a lot of what you're playing for.

14. I figured as much :\ maybe I should just get a strip. Surge protectors are dirt cheap.

15. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    I don't understand the hate power conditioners get on this site. Yes I am aware that the majority of them are glorified power strips, but for the price of a decent pack of strings they serve their purpose.

16. Just keep an eye out for something used.

As mentioned earlier, most rack mounted power conditioners are power strips in a handy rack-style chassis. It's nice to have everything in your rack already plugged into it and all you have to worry about is plugging in the conditioner itself(which by the way, anybody else notice these things have horribly short cables?) and you're all set.

Furman is the most commonly used brand. The higher end units just have more gizmos to play with. I've seen some with USB power, lights, and a display showing what the outlet it's plugged into is supplying. The last one is useful, my rhythm guitar player uses one with that feature and at one gig the outlets were supplying something like 200v and his Furman was blinking the voltage, telling us we would be pretty much screwed if we plugged right into the wall.

I scored an entry level used Furman for $20 at GC. 8 outlets in the rear, one in the front, no gizmos. The lights would have been nice to have though, I would have mounted it backwards like Eric because my SVT-4 has a bajillion inputs/outputs on the back. When I'm switching in and out of biamp mode or setting my DI I'm juggling wires and a flashlight like a goon.

17. Yeah and really for me it's more of a peace of mind/personal preference/YMMV thing.

No, I don't necessarily think a power conditioner is necessary. Yes, I still want one, as long as it's not overpriced. $40 isn't that bad, it'd still be 3 times less than any other component in the rack.

18. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    For the price of a CD you can get the same purpose. ;)

I don't think anyone hates power "conditioners" so much as they hate the fearmongerish marketing behind them.

19. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Regular power strips can mount to the inside of a rack--a couple of screws or some double-sided tape to hold it in place and you're done.

20. True. Lame, but true.