Rack Power supplies in the UK ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Aug 9, 2005.

1. I know this shouldnt be posted here. . . move as you will

Any UK TB'ers have rack mounted power supplies? i'd ideally like an ART PB 4X4, because they are known to be reliable, but all I can seem to find are generic supplies on ebay.co.uk, there doesnt seem to be any decent ones about

Im not really needing a power conditioner, just wanting the ability to turn everything on with one switch :bassist:

2. N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Check out digital village:

I've had a couple of Samsons in the past with no problems.

Alternatively there are a couple of European sites which do a variety of supplies for pedals/racks etc. but I can't seem to find them - Jazz Ad would know, might be worth a PM.
  3. cheers, i was just finding it hard to find proper UK ones, they seem to be availible at the drop of a hat everywhere else

found tons of ones for PC racks, but they were all beige and had the power supplies on the front, blah !
  4. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Possibly a silly question/suggestion (consider or ignore, as appropriate): If you don't need power conditioning, do you really need to use a rack space for this?

I may eventually pick up a Furman conditioner, but for now I'm only practicing and jamming where there's known-good power, so I don't need to be spending that money just yet. But like you, I don't want to have to flip three or four switches every time I start or finish playing.

What I did was mount an outlet strip inside my rack, on the bottom behind my power amp. Then I plugged everything into it and cable-tied everything up nicely. I used a surge-supressing GFI-equipped (sorry, don't recall what they're called in the UK... the widgets that open the circuit if current starts flowing through ground) outlet strip, and had two outlets left over to plug in a little line voltage monitor and an outlet checker.

So when setting up, all I have to do is connect my speaker cabinet and bass, plug in one power cord, flip one switch, and my rig is up and ready to go. AND I have instant indication that voltage and wiring are okay right there at the lighted switch I just flipped. And even a little "power conditioning," if you want to be generous and call MOVs such. All without using a rack space.

Down sides? No front-panel switch, so I have to reach around back to power up and down (I prefer it that way, as it's less likely to be accidentally switched). Anyone scoping out your equipment doesn't see a nice impressive power supply. :) Might not fit in shallow racks or behind really deep amps or whatever's mounted there. You have to attach it somehow (if you want to attach it -- I didn't want mine flopping around. But mine's a double-walled roto-molded case, and it was very easy to do with no exposed screw heads or any of that).

Hope you don't mind someone saying "Maybe try Y?" when you clearly asked about "X"... but just offering it as food for thought if it hadn't occurred to you yet.

5. Its mainly because i like the idea of turning everything on with one switch, and i plan on extending a rack

including a 2U fan array im going to make, and i like the idea of having something as a rackmount cus it looks cooler :p

im really not too bothered about it being power conditioning, as much as i am wanting a reliable power strip
  6. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Yep, like I said, you'd miss out on the eye candy factor with a hidden outlet strip. Flashy lights and meters and such can all be part of the stage presence! Remember that guitar Yahoo Serious had in Young Einstein? Maybe somebody should make a bass like that. :D (Sometimes I think that's the main reason for those big rack-mount tuners. The tuner I built into my preamp is just three tiny multi-color LEDs and I can tune with it just fine, but it adds nothing to the SHOW! Heh.)

Speaking of show, are you planning to use something like those illuminated color PC modder fans for your 2U ventilation panel? I've heard some people talking about going that way, sounds like it would look pretty cool.

7. aye what im doing is getting a blank front plate, either a grate or grill like design on it, attach it to a short rack shelf like thing, just so it has a bit of a ledge for the transformer on it just having 2-3 80mm LED pc fans, hooked up to a 12v transformer, probably not have an independant on/off switch on it (another reason the rack power strip would be useful)

i was thinking about having the band name cut out of a more solid front plate so it was the name glowing, but it would probably look crap and not give much through put on the fans!