Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rack Power Supply

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by [SD], Apr 25, 2004.

1. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    ok, here is my question, i wanna buy over music123.com some equipment (SVP-BSP, QSC MX850) and i live in europe (220V). The equipment comes with 120V power specifications. So i wanna know. Are there any companies that make rack mounted power converters where i can plug in my equipment? or i better buy them and get them changed to 220V current?

2. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    come on! no one has had this problem before? i don't seem to find a thread that answer my question in here

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I looked at a photo that I have of the insides of the BSP. It almost looks like there are four leads going into the primary side of the power transformer. If this is true, it might be possible to reconnect them so that you can run it on 220 Vac, 50 Hz without having to buy a step down transformer.

I'd recommend that you go to Ampeg.com and send them an email asking them if it is possible to reconnect the US version BSPs for 220 Vac. The manual (available on-line) shows an export version that is rated 220 - 230 Vac. It all depends on whether Ampeg buys two different power transformers for the BSP line.

You could also PM "Ampeg Insider" for his help.

On a similar note with the QSC, either contact QSC directly or send "Bob Lee (QSC)" a PM asking if the RMX can be rewired as well...

A rack mount step down transformer is going to be heavy, noisy and expensive...

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Agreed. Do what you can internally to the components themselves, and avoid a step-down transformer at all costs.

5. He needs a step "UP". Do they make such a converter? Im sure they do but I just havent run across the need yet.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Spanky...he needs a step-DOWN transformer to match the Euro 220 Vac, 50 Hz mains to 120 Vac US market gear...

I've never seen a 1U step-down transformer but the device itself is rather simple....just a 220 Vac to 120 Vac transformer. Heck, he could use an auto-transformer and save half the weight...as long as one side of Europe's mains is at ground potential...

The problem is that the transformer (if providing isolation) would need to be rated for the full power of the system...which equates to a big transformer if it's a high power application...and even bigger to handle the additional losses that occur within a transformer at 50 Hz than at 60 Hz.

7. If you decide to manually alter the power input of the equipment you're looking to buy, you will definitely void your warranty. Personally, I have done things like that before, but I'm also able to fix things when they're broken. Question is: are you willing to deliberately void your warranty?

8. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If he received blessing from QSC and Ampeg to make the reconnection (if it's possible), would it void the warranty?

I wonder if the warranty for US-spec gear even transfers outside the country?

9. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The SVP-BSP uses the same transformer for export and US.

The only difference is wiring and the labeling, since the EU export version carries the CE label and other related labeling and manual info not required for US domestic units.

The EU requires any imported products to be appropriately tested and CE labeled to indicate that they have passed testing and are approved. Importing units not originally intended for EU destinations may or may not cause a problem.

But as far as the line voltage capability, any competent technician can make the voltage conversion for 230V/50Hz. If they don't understand the wiring from looking at it, they can get the information from Ampeg service at

service@slme.com

So, yes, the BSP can be used on 230V 50Hz with appropriate internal wiring changes.

10. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    i'm not really willing to do it by myself...i guess i'll contact QSC and AMPEG and ask them if there costumer service would do it...for FREE? :D cuz maybe if it's too much trobule and then i have to pay for it i mihgt just buy it from a german website which is more expensive but might still be worth the price