Rack power

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Let's say you have a rack with lots of stuff, including a power conditioner. Could you just leave the power switches for everything on always and turn the whole rack on with the power conditioner? Or would that be bad? Do you have to turn everything on/off individually?
  2. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I don't think that would be good. That would be like yanking the cord of the socket to turn something off.
  3. PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    been doing that for the last 15 yrs......

...the only thing I don't have connected to the power conditioners is the power amps.......

...turn them on last after everything else .

4. I fail to follow this example. I see no problem using just the power conditioner for everything, except as noted, power amps. I do it. Of course, I used to yank cords out of sockets too, then try and shove my legos into the socket.

5. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    It should be fine to switch everything off at the power conditioner. Unless you're running a computer, that is!

In fact, my rack has a preamp that doesn't even have a power switch, so I have to use the power conditioner. I usually turn the power amp off separately; it pulls one heck of a startup surge, and I'd rather not fry the switch in the power conditioner.