1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rack Pre as a DI?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Apr 11, 2006.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Does anybody use a rack mounted pre purely as a DI?

I'm currently running an Iamp 800 with CXL112 and love my onstage sound but don't like running the Iamp to the PA maybe just for fear of Phantom Power, so I've been using a Pedal Pre MXR M-80 and I'm thinking of changing to a fishman pro-eq platinum bass and have it in my gig bag, but I'm tempted to get something with more headroom and more quality and such in a single U pre setup

What do you think?

Cheers

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    What do you mean, phantom power?

I run the DI out of my pre to the PA when appropriate. Is there something I need to be concerned with, in doing this?

3. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I regularly have used my Read Purity as a DI, whether recording or live. Most of the time, live, the pre has also been driving my poweramp/rig.

4. At the church that I attend/play for, we use in-ear monitors and no amp onstage (I could bring a small amp but don't) and I often play through my Alembic F1-X straight into the board.

5. funky_bass_guy

funky_bass_guy Guest

Jul 30, 2004
    How about just a simple good quality passive/active DI box that you could use in the send from your amp, thus keeping your tone assuming the effects loop is post preamp.

Try www.studiospares.com they are quite good value. The EMO ;) DI boxes are incredibly reliable and sound good.

6. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Some(read:cheap) mixers have only, globle phantom power.(all ch.get phantom or none.
    Some amps/preamps dont like 48 volts being fed back into there balanced output/DI jack.

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Exactly, so I'm trying to find ways around it with out picking up a $30 DI box

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I've heard early SWR is on this list. Are you sure your amp will have a problem w/phantom power?

9. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Even if single channel phantom is available soundguys might use global anyway because either they dont know it can damage certain DIs and/or its just easier to hit one button. I have seen this happen a few times!

10. funky_bass_guy

funky_bass_guy Guest

Jul 30, 2004
    You can buy isolating boxes that stop phantom power going into the head. The bass centre sells them I think. Have a look on bassworld, some guy with an Eden rig posted a link to them. Made by ART I *think*..